Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Fuel Cap Filler Problem, Couldn’T Fill Up!! ... Any Help Gratefully Received!

Sam101

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help with a problem I’m experiencing with my fiesta’s (59 plate) internal fuel flap (not the door, as I hear that does stick after a while, but the sliver metal internal flap).

Went to refuel on Friday, but found it was stuck shut.The petrol fuel nozzle just wouldn’t go in, therefore couldn’t fill up. Asked a passing AA man at garage to take a quick look and he promptly agreed, it was shut tight, but didn't want to force in case of damage.

Luckily had enough petrol to get home and didn’t use the car over the weekend, expecting to take it to the local garage to be looked at this morning. However, had another quick fiddle, locked and unlocked the central locking, nothing, but then had the bright idea of using my petrol can hose to prod about a bit and it suddenly gave in and opened!!

I haven’t used any brute force so almost sure it’s not broken however the reason for me posting is to find out if any one else has experienced this?

Also, does anyone know if their internal metal fuel flap can be pushed open when central locking is activated? Ford tell me it should lock when the car is locked (mine doesn’t), however as I never has any reason to test this before I’m not sure if it ever did ... and fords are saying it will cost in the region of £300 to be fixed!!

So if there are any fellow fiesta car owners who would be so kind as to let me know how their car behaves, I’d be eternally grateful, as I think the alternative of wandering round my local car park hunting for and testing other fiesta’s fuel flaps, may not be the wisest move!

Many thanks in advance

Sam :unsure:

Neither the door nor the metal flap on the mechanism will lock with the car. Only a petrol nozzle (or diesel for diesel Fiesta) or the fuel funnel in your boot will open the metal flap. This is designed to prevent misfueling.

It shouldn't get stuck like you describe though, have you used that garage before? Don't suppose they have funny sized petrol nozzles? :P

Someone else did post about this the other day actually exactly the same problem couldnt open the metal flap

Hi, thanks for the replies,

Not sure about the funny nozzle, ha! But it must be contagious if that’s what it is as I tried several garages on the way home on Friday and none of the nozzles would penetrate the silver metal flap (and most of these garages I uses regularly too).

Do you have it on good authority that the metal flap on the mechanism will NOT lock with the car? As this is the complete opposite to what fords service department are saying, which is why I’m confused!

Fortunately I have it working again, I think!? But fords say I shouldn’t be able to push the metal flap in whilst the car is locked, this should lock as an anti-syphon device, which is why they say it is probably broken and will cost £300 to fix!!

It doesn’t look or feel broken but as I’m not sure what it did previous to the problem experienced. I have no idea what to believe. My main concern is that i don’t want it locking up again when out and about and I need to fill up, but obiously do want to Shell out £300 if it's not necessary!

Which is why I wondered how a 'normal' fiesta of similar age behaves?

:rolleyes: any help very welcome

The silver cap does lock when the car is locked I know because I thought the flap locked and it doesn't but I couldn't move the silver cap

Can't say I've ever tried to but I would have thought either the flap or cap should lock

I used to fill up with my car locked all the time...?

I believe that there is a timed delay on the lock maybe try shoving the top up nossel in after its been locked all night ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club