reck

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: Focus Estate
  • Year: 2013

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

It seems i'd get a more funcitonal experience if I used my iPhone 4S via the USB connection instead of purely via Bluetooth. By this I mean you get feedback on the LCD display and the voice-commands you can use are greatly increased compared to using BT.

When I use BT I have no problems at all but when I plug my iphone into the USB socket and press the aux button to change to USB I can't get it to work. I've tried to play music but neither the controls on my phone or the controls on the car work. Sometimes it doesn't play at all, other times I can see the track counter moving up and the seek bar moving on my phone but I don't get any sound coming out the car speakers, other times the sound comes from the iphone speaker.

I've played about moving the output of the phone between dock and sync and only sync seems to work.

The whole USB\iPhone side of things seems a bit flaky. What's everyone ele's experience of this?

Also do Ford release updates for the Sync system? Do we get notified of updates or is there somewhere I can go to see what the latest version is and download an update?

Cheers.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,940 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Do you use the Y cable to connect your phone?
By that I mean the cable with a usb on one end and iphone/3.5 plug on the other end?
If not you need either that cable or carry out the firmware update that allows connection with just the i phone cable.

#3 reck

reck

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

I just used the phones USB cable, didn't think i'd need any other sort of cable for it to work.

Is this firmware update you mentioned something that's just been released? I only got the car last week and its new so shouldn't it already have the latest firmware update installed?

Cilve do you know what version this firmware update is? If so i'll see if I can work out how I check what version I have installed.

Also where do I go to see what the latest firmware is and also download it?

#4 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,940 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

Having no ability or need to do a firmware update I can't advise further on that, others here are more au fait with that.

I am sure though that your first option is to try the Y cable-

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c6b6f29f8

#5 reck

reck

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for the info Clive, i'm going to purchase a Y cable as you suggested.

Do you have any information or websites with details on the Firmware update you mentioned? How did you find out about it? I want to pass the details on to the dealer and see if they can provide it but as I said above I would have thought the car would already be running the latest Firmware, unless it's just come out.

#6 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,940 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

There are topics somewhere on the forum that discuss the updates in depth and have links to the correct dsta.
Can't find them at the moment, i'm away from my computer.

#7 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,940 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Ah, found the link to the data and instructions.

Give it a go.

http://www.ford-mobi...ownloadsUpdates

And some info.

http://www.fordowner.../?&fromsearch=1

#8 reck

reck

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

Thanks very much for digging those links out. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like they’ve updated sync since November last year and that update was only for improved “energy management”.

The update that added support for the Apple USB cable was actually released in October 2011 so I’m assuming I’m at least running that version but most likely the November 2012 release.

So it seems that you can’t use iPhones with the Ford Sync just using the standard USB cable and have to purchase an extra Y cable. Hopefully this will sort out why I couldn’t hear anything coming out the car speakers although I was having other issues such as sync\iphone not responding or very sluggish performance when plugged into the USB port which I don’t believe this extra cable will fix.

#9 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 13,940 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

Just because the car is new don't expect Ford to ensure the radio is running on the latest firmware, they're not that diligent :P

#10 James Rosier

James Rosier

Ford Focus Owner

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 1.6 TDCi
  • Year: 2012

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hi

When i first got my focus (March 2013) i used a Y cabel to connect it to SYNC, after a while problems rose with SYNC not working, so what i did instead was use just a normal USB cable from apple or an USB cabel to 30 doc connector.

After i used this i have had no issues with SYNC at all. ( i also have an iPhone 4s)

Hope this helps

#11 reck

reck

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

James I am currently using a normal apple USB cable with my iPhone. When it's plugged into the usb port i've been unable to get it to work at all. No sound, locking up or stuttering on the phone screen, play/pause button not working.

I've ordered a Y cable hoping that it might sort out at least the sound problems but from what you say you've had a better experience using the standard USB cable?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users