Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hid's In Projector Headlights

Jordanch

This thread may seem stupid to those who are into modifications but however for me this is relatively new stuff

Anyway. I was looking at getting HID bulbs for my Fiesta ZS 1.0 ecoboost however I'm not entirely sure whether they are legal towards my car and the headlights my car has? My car has projector headlights but standard halogen bulbs. But I have been reading that some cars have HID bulbs in their projector bulbs standard. I have two questions I would like answered please if possible.

1. If I get HID bulbs, does my style of headlights mean they'll plug straight in, or will I need to do a HID conversion with a kit?

2. As they are projector headlights, by having HID bulbs installed will that make them illegal use as they aren't standard? (As far as I am aware)

Thank you for your time.

Ill tell you straight off so you know, HID kits are illegal unless fitted as standard by the manufacturer of the car. If the car wasn't originally fitted with them it doesnt matter whether its projector or reflector headlights that the conversion kit is fitted to although the chance of getting caught would be more likely with the reflector headlights. HIDs give off a completely different light pattern to halogen bulbs and need to be fitted to proper projector style lenses designed specifically for HID bulbs. A car is also meant to have an autoleveling headlight set up with the suspension and also a headlight washer system.

In answer to your questions yes you would need a conversion kit and yes it would make your car illegal if you fitted them. It will fail on its MOT and could invalidate your insurance if you're caught out.

If you're after the icy white effect try fitting either philips diamond vision halogen bulbs or osram hyper blue halogen bulbs. Neither are strictly legal for road use but the chances of getting pulled for using them are minimal because unlike HIDs they wont dazzle oncoming drivers because they are designed for halogen style headlights. They dont give as good a light output as HIDs but they're fairly decent and give that nice whitish light colour

If you fit HID's then they will be illegal unless you also get a self levelling kit and washers fitted which would be extremely expensive, not even sure it is possible. Having said that I fitted HID's to my 2012 ZS and love them.The light is white and the projectors really do project the light a long way. I have never been stopped by the police and don't get flashed by other drivers at all, also as you have anew car no MOT to worryabout for 3 years.

post-38083-0-68471200-1380408783_thumb.j

post-38083-0-45675600-1380408853_thumb.j

These are the ones I bought. There are cheaper but you get what you pay for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221131899893

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club