Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 05' Tdci Member- With Issues :-(

fto dude

hey there c-max community!! my name is Dave and my partner Debbie has just brought a new car- well used, but you get my drift.

Having a babba and one on the way we went for the c-max- impressed by its kit and space and other arrangements.

Anyhow, unfortunately my first post is a sad one....... :-(

We have some problems with the car that i wanted to run past like minded owners before going to the garage that sold it us!! (ba$&£rds!!)

we have a 1.6 tdci, 05 reg on 92k. i know that the pump and belt is due sometime soon (100k or 10 years iirc??) however i have identified the following...

the car sometimes seems sluggish and it makes little coughs when accelerating.. im presuming that this is the turbo on its way out perhaps?

The bootlid door light comes on the dashboard even though ive just closed it and when i check, the boot certainly is partially open (not quite locked or open, but slightly unlocked)

there is steering judder at 50-60mph ish... when you go faster it disappears and likewise when slower, and lastly...

the engine management light has just come on!!

Miffed isnt the word, but thought id share with you incase some are easy fixes or its all part of the personality of owning the car!!

Other than that were pleased with it and based in Luton Beds if theres any owners near us (esp with an OBD cable!!! lol)

Lovely to meet ya,

Dave

Right 1st point pump is is only replaced if problem time belt 240k or 10 years other point is dpf should be changed at 120k or 5 years did u by from ford dealer

Do yourself a favour and take it back to the garage don't start tinkering with it and then take it back cos all they will say is 'It was allright when it left ere you must have done something to it', If you got some kind of warranty see if you can use it

Good luck m8, don't let em fob you off with all their :censored: ,

By the way wot garage was it cos im in luton (sorry I havnt got a reader either)

i bought from an RAC inspected garage in Ilford.. maysbrook motors, or maysbrook cars.. i had my reservations about it.. that gut instinct... shouldve trusted it!!

oh btw thanks :-)

Hi, welcome to the club, I had a Cmax 06 plate a few years back, now drive a focus! Anyway the steering juddering I had this problem between 50-60. It started after I had new front tyres fitted after about 5,000 miles disappeared. Are the tyres new. I would just like to say I don't know a lot mechanically on c-max and it may just be a coincidence. Did you buy the vehicle from a ford dealer?

no it did not come from a Ford dealer, just a generic car sales place with RAC accreditation. It has new brake pads and discs however though so i was going to give it the benefit of the doubt for a short while....

The sluggish acceleration and MIL light are most likely due to a dirty fuel filter, I recommend getting it changed on every service as it will cause problems.

The boot lock may need realigning or replacing if it isn't engaging properly, a blast of WD40 may be in order though.

Juddering could be imbalanced wheels or tracking, even a thrown balancing weight can cause a lot of vibration.

Ford recommend belt changes at 125k miles but prudent people usually do it at anything from 85k - 100k miles to be safe.

• Like 1

thanks for the reply there clive.. i had read that turbos were prone to going at high mileage.. i guess it just depends what high mileage is.. or indeed if that is even true.. consequently today others have mentioned the fuel filter too.. will the OBD tell me what the problem is exactly.. it seems the car is in limp mode atm.

Thanks

Dave

consequently the OBD test we ran tonight came up without any error codes.. no idea why it wouldnt display any, said there was a problem detecting any error codes.. do we have a decent autofactors that is recommended (for example with japanese cars i use camskill) if its not too difficult a job i might look into replacing the fuel filter!

Welcome along Dave, I own a 2005 CMAX!

First of all, the CMAX 2005 doesnt have a DPF (Hoorah!) (or so Ford tell me anyway ;))

As for for the lack of error codes, that shows its a mechanical fault. Sensors can only pick up signals, so a blocked filter is a mechanical fault and is a very good chance of being the problem. The alternative is that you could also have a clogged EGR valve. I would advise consider blanking this!

Also, our cars had a known issue with the intercooler pipe. You may want to look at my signature for my guide on replacing the intercooler pipe.

hey James thanks for the information there and welcomes :-)

Consequently we tried to take her to the garage on saturday but broke down in limp mode so didnt want to risk the 40mile + journey obviously. Consequently the RAC man ran his diagnostics on it and found a whole multitude of error codes.. the engine had 9 and they were P2458, P242F, P0427, P0103, P138B, P1412, P2455, P0403, P0404. i Am told that not all are necessarily current problems as they could have been on there since the vehicle left the factory, so he erased the codes and then next time i moved the engine light came back on with what would have been the 'current code' (s).

He also ran the unit over all the other ecu's in the car and came back with lots of codes, but again im told this could be the result of a battery reset, or changed sensor etc.. i was told not to worry anyway.. fingers crossed.. still concerned about the engine ones however, as something has put it back into limp mode for sure! Not sure how the dpf works.. from diagrams ive seen it seems to be a chamber above the CAT if i understood it correctly. The EGR did show up a couple of times.. im not sure what this is and if its difficult to fix, replace or bypass.. ??

Kind regards

Dave

You definately need to get it back to the garage, they have a minimum warranty period (see my signature)

P2458, Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Duration - DPF Regen - this worries me, as Ford told me that our cars did not have a DPF :|

P242F, Diesel Particulate Filter Restriction - Ash Accumulation - As above

P0427, Catalyst Temperature Sensor Low Input Bank 1 Sensor 1 - Probably due to the Ash Accumulation

P0103, Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit High Input or Open - Check that the MAF sensor is both connected and clean (do this with electrical contact cleaner) its a 15 minute job.

P138B, Glow plug relay system voltage- I share your pain on this, I have this error code, but no misbehaviours yet. There is a known fault with the design which means water and cack get thrown up to the glow plugs and the relay and causes trouble. either plugs and or relay may need to be replaced. I am going down the line of "wait for it to go bang" before I bother :p

P1412, EGR Valve Frozen - Blanking it should work, but if not it will need cleaning at least. Its a fiver to fix if the blanking plate.

P2455, Diesel particulate filter differential pressure sensor circuit high input

P0403, Exhaust Gas Recirculation Malfunction - This could indicate a fault with the wiring of the EGR, a blank may not necessarily fix this issue and the EGR may need to be replaced, or bypassed by alternate means.

P0404.EGR circuit range or performance issue - This reinforces the idea of the EGR being faulty.

If you do have the DPF, I would suggest that you get it removed. The DPF Is a pain in the backside! it costs the best part of 1000 to replace, £150 to maintain, a lot to recover when it goes wrong, or you could get it removed for about £350 - £500. You could even get the EGR removed and deleted for a bit more of that price and just blank it off.

The benefits are well documented here, with more power, economy and better reliability its a good move to make, and generally cheaper in the long run, or perhaps even short term.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club