Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Mk3 2.0L Tdci Engine

Ford Loyalty MK3

As some of you know I'm having issures with mondeo at the moment, If the EGR isn't the issure then I might have to do open heart surgery on it, I don't want to but i've got to find out whats causing my motor to constantly run on limp home mode.

As Anyone done a major work on the engines of these motors? If so what are they like, timing chain, injector pump, cylinder head etc. Haven't had the Mondeo long, only 5 months, plus my infomation on Diesel engines isn't top noitch.

If you can help that would be brilliant, I don't want to scarp other car again, like i did with the Probe because I regreted it ever since.

If theres any updates I will post it on here, there will be photos and a video, hopefully with our combined technical know how I can slowly get this motor running 100%

Ford Loyalty all the way.

Many Thanks

David

I forgot to mention, what are the common faults related to the Mk3 Mondeo?

Some of the many problems can be. DMF, split air hoses, reverse light switch, exterior door handles not working correctly, oil and water thermostats, injectors, bushes, water leaks (pollen filter, door membrane, tailgate), the list could go on.

These are only a few, but bare in mind, people tend to mention the faults more than the car working so there are probably more cars without problems than with.

Thats true.

mine smokes like anything, removed hoses cleaned them, Inlet manifold cover in crap gave them a clean too. EGR valve very bad the valve looks half way stuck more then anything.

Once I've tryed to clean the egr the best I can, I'll put everything back together and start it again.

Cold starting/ smokes like hell with a glow plug warning light constanly flashing non stop. However when engine temputure increases smoking stops, but the light is still there.

Here's the topic I started a few days ago about the issure, All been listed on work carried out so far. http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/50572-working-on-the-mondeo-with-photos/

I wouldn go stripping ur engine without proper diagnostics it's not a mechanic engine issue what makin ur car go into limp mode u need good code reader check any faults stored

Hopefully soon all will become clear. :)

Update on EGR

I've started cleaning it again, I've sprayed WD40 and let it soak for a day, came back from work this morning and started cleaning it. Its getting there, but still pretty clogged so I've added my secret weapon. m_yes.gif

Bleach. icon_biggrin.gif That will remove the crap from the valve that I couldn't gain acess too. My EGR is a mechanical type, not elterical which is great, if it was it would have been buggerd. s_thumbup.gif

Even a small amount of coco cola would do it. s_thumbup.gif

Used wet and dry to clean it up with.

I'll try that as well. B)

Couldn't sleep so I went to the shed and checked out my bleech treatment, Its very good. Used a tooth brush and gave it a good going over, The valve should be able to move freely now. Sprayed some WD-40 afterwards to maintain the valve. :thumbsup:

DSC00106_zps121b84f7.jpg
DSC00105_zpsda7ac039.jpg
DSC00104_zps2c50792a.jpg

Oh bugger I've lost the hose for the top of the EGR valve, been searching everywhere for it and can't seem to find it, not good. :(

I have stripped one of these down less than a year ago and rebuilt the engine, we had the same issue, was a cam shaft sensor and a glo plug had welded itself into the head, they do smoke up a lot in the winter though especially if high mileage, but you do not need the EGR, some people block them off to keep the engine clean and run better so I don't think it would be due to that

post-48799-138834106647_thumb.jpgpost-48799-138834111829_thumb.jpg

This is what I managed to do and done 10,000 miles since without even a slow oil leak runs great but have you done a test on your glo plugs to see if all are working?

Glow plugs replaced 3 months ago, there in full working order :)

Pressure release valve replaced a month before glow plug issure.:)

Inlet manifold, egr, hoses and air filter are back on. :)

Before I start the car I'll record a video of it. I've ticked the boxes of faults that I thought it was, If its not the EGR, then cam sensor or timing could be a issure.

Hopefully this will help a member that might have the same issure as mine. B) As Always I'll keep you all posted. :)

hope this works for you dude..... fingers crossed ;)

There are a few cam sensors out there, one has caused problems for a lot of cars, the good one is grey the poor one tends to be cream/beige colour. This caused the same problem as what you are describing

I'll check that out too, that would cause my Fuel pressure on my injectors to differ, as its not getting the signal for the correct timing.

My injector test result done in a garage a few weeks ago.

bank 1 good

bank 2 lower then back one

bank 3 a little bit better then bank 2

bank 4 poor.

Where about is the cam sensor located?

As you look at the engine it is on the front of the cam carrier, hope that helps

trying to get the videos up on photobucket of my car starting, but due to the file size I can't 1.2GB of memory used lol.

Part 1 is buggerd which gives you all the evidence needed to find the fault. k_crying.gif
I've got part 2/ engine warm and ideling
and part 3/ Mondeo driving

Guess other cold start 2moro is on the cards

I've uploaded the videos and here's the links to them. After checking everything first and replacing new clips for the hoses, cold starting is still a issure, but the smoking isn't has bad now since the EGR is cleaned, still its NOT the primary cause of my poor running issures.

Hope fully these videos will give a better idea on whats going on, you may need to crank up the volume a bit to hear it.

First start up engine ideling cols starting th_MOV00111_zpsffe582e1.jpg

Test drive/ engine cold th_MOV00112_zpsfd68d448.jpg

Engine ideling closer inspection of knocking or slapping type sound. th_MOV00113_zps54ac38ec.jpg

Engine ideling/ getting warmer th_MOV00108_zps4ae51a73.jpg

Cold starting is a nightmare. You have to put your foot all the way to the floor to keep it going and hope for the best. But when the engine warm you can turn if off few seconds start it no problem at all, With glow plug light still there, but a lot better to start and driver better when warm.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club