Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bit Of Advice On Fitting Some Replacement Parts Needed

pisco

I have a mk1 Focus 1.4 Zetec.

I had the t-belt replaced last month and was told the PS pump, water pump and tensioner all were in need of replacement.

How easy/difficult is it to replace these items?

The mechanic is telling me the t-belf has to come off again, which seems strange as these are all external bits. But I am open to being corrected.

I have all the replacement parts but need some guidelines please.

Cheers.

What was the reason given for why they need replacing? Normally you would know when a p/s or water pump needs replacing!

Bearings being worn, when I bought the car I was told there was a noise from that area when the car had been on a long run.

the tensioner should have been replaced with the belt, it also makes sense to change the water pump at the same time, a full cambelt kit comes with tensioner and waterpump and only costs £55

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIMING-CAM-BELT-KIT-WATER-PUMP-FOR-FORD-FOCUS-MK1-MK2-1-4-1-6-98-04-05-/380573865968

a new tensioner should allways be fitted with a cambelt, i would ask the mechanic why this was not done in the first place.

The tensioner on the aux belt not the one on the cam belt which was changed I believe. I was charged £60 for just the cambelt kit. :wacko:

Does the cambelt need removed to fit the water pump? I thought it was connected to the aux belt??

The tensioner of the timing belt is mounted on the waterpump housing. To replace the waterpump it is necessary to remove the timing belt tensioner. The timing belt itself does not have to be removed to change the waterpump but when the waterpump is being removed there is a high risk of coolant leaking on the timing belt.

Removing/refitting the timing belt tensioner or coolant leaking on the timing belt are both reasons to replace the timing belt.

OK. So a PITA then.

It isn't leaking so I am unsure what to do. I could just get the aux tensioner & ps pump replaced and IF the wp leaks then at a later date get it replaced? Or should I just bite the bullet and get them all done at the same time?

If the bearings are shot, they will only last so long before they fail completely and possibly leave you calling out recovery.

Define shot! They are worn but not to the point of making noise all the time.

Given my normal weekly mileage is <50miles and only short journeys I think I may have some lee way ??

I would define a shot bearing as one with any play (unless of course the type of bearing is allowed an amount), any roughness/noise or tight spots.

Very slight roughness or noise should give some time yet although I wouldn't swear by that as I have replaced all sorts of bearings that have been fine one day and gone the next, especially those used in high rpm applications

I would keep an eye on it, just listen out for it getting any worse or movement in the pulleys when running.

Yep it is a slight roughness on the pulley & ps pump.

He is quoting me £120 to replace the lot. Looking for other quotes now.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club