Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Fiesta Powershift Problems

Traquare

I'm afraid I'm also having powershift issues, along with other problems.

I've owned my 64 plate Fiesta 1.0t ecobost Titanium now for around 2 months. Bought it from a Ford main dealer, now covered 20k. Shortly after purchase the car electrics totally failed. Car wouldn't start. Had to phone the AA out, said the battery was totally dead, down to 4v. Explained to me not to restart the car, leave it on tick over. As it may not restart. I then had a 100 mile round trip to the supplying dealer. Whom then replaced it under warranty. Since then I've suffered from intermittent starting problems, takes between 1-10 seconds to start. Sometimes up to 10 seconds of cranking for the engine to fire up. Also at times, at around 2k, put foot on the gas, powershift hesitates badly before eventually picking up. The worst incident happened yesterday on the way home from work. Traveling at around 1.5k- 2k revs, 35-40mph. The transmission jumped to 5.5k revs, without myself pushing down on the accelerator pedal. Took my foot off the gas, nothing happened, car kept accelerating for around 5 seconds in total. I then slammed my foot on the brake pedal, car then slowed down, revs dropped. Just as well there wasn't a car close to me at the front. Could have caused a serious accident. I have now lost faith in the car, certainly don't trust it anymore for taking my family out.

I have contacted the supplying dealer, now in negotiations to reject the car, receive a full refund or exchange it for another car.

• 9 months later...

Hi

I am new to this topic, I also have been suffering with the problem bought a new 2013 fiesta Titanium 1600 power shift great little car loved it, but after about 14 months started getting the shuddering issue went back to trust ford where I bought the car dealer said it was a known issue but would I be interested in upgrading to new model he said they had now corrected the issue now so ordered a new BMax Titanium 1600 powershift happy in the belief all was sorted got new car Sept 2015 alas I have been taken for a mug after 12 months with new car about 5000 miles the shuddering started again after going through with the pantomime of "upgrades" still the same so on 12 Dec 2016 car went in to have NEW clutch fitted. Car is back with me now and drives like new really pleased, but now worried because Ford WILL NOT extend the warranty on new clutch to three years so now I have the possibility of clutch problems again if the posts here are correct, but by this time the car will be out of warranty have been in touch with customer "relations" and even to CEO of ford (who refer me back to customer relations) so if anyone has proof ford has given them extended warranty please get in touch with me. I think its disgusting that Ford take NO responsibility for what is clearly a fault with the powershift system. I have a nice car that I like but am frightened to drive too much in case the problem starts again. I notice in America they have taken out a class action for this very problem with Ford USA can anybody help in any way

The recall on TCM of the fiesta we had, once it was updated there was a warranty extension but that may only apply to the TCM and not to the clutch, might be worth asking about the TCM too if that hasn't already been done.

the car I have is a BMAX 1600 powershift automatic TCM means transmission control module ie the Clutch they tried the so called TCM upgrade but it did not work hence replace the automatic duel clutch system that the powershift auto has . but cheers anyway .....

Hi there ,good afternoon to you
Ok this is a known issue in the focus PowerShift transmission
The judder is noticeable under light acceleration
The first thing that should be done to eliminate this judder is to have the transmission control module updated to the latest level software and then have the transmission service learn procedure carried out
These procedures are done using fords ids software
This should resolve your issue
If the fault returns or appears again then the clutch pack unit and oil seals should be replaced as we suspect there may be oil vapour contaminating the clutch discs (this is only for faults that aren't resolved by the first procedure )
And continued juddering issues
This is covered under fitds 3 year / 60,000 miles warranty

By the sounds of it the clutch is only covered under standard warranty and as the recall was only for the TCM (as far as im aware) only the TCM qualifies for the extended warranty. That's what it sounds like to me anyway.

the TCM means transmission control module which is a programme on the cars computer on a powershift there is NO clutch as we know it, it is within the transmission which is controlled by the TCM (transmission control module)  they are totally combined hence its called Transmission control the TCM is a module only and its only function is to control the transmission by computer the part that is giving all the trouble is the automatic clutch if Fords replace a faulty part that the problem is known to reoccur then one would have thought that they would have faith in their own products to give it a full warranty why would they not do so ?????   

Pullock, would you be so kind as to post your extended warranty  of course remove any thing that shows any of your personal details so I could see what I might be able to use to progress my concerns thank you

The only confirmation I have is what is displayed on Ford ETIS as I no longer have the car anymore, but once the TCM was updated all issues subsided hence why I didn't pursue it any further.

This was outstanding, then it disappeared, then it came back so whether it was done or not I'm unsure of.

Outstanding Field service Actions

4W567 - DPS6/6DCT250 WARRANTY EXTENSION
14M02 - TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE WARRANTY EXTENSION
  • Like 1

Thanks Pullock will try to use this info and get back on to Ford's again. 

• Like 1

the clutch unit, oil seals were covered under a 5 yr 100k warranty , then the tcm module was also added to thev5 yr warranty as they had a tendancy to pack up aledgley. the latest tcm update enabled a message/dtc to show on dash just before module failed.

• Like 2

iantt thanks for that have you any paper work or reference I might be able to use. Just had mine done after 15 months and they are saying when the cars 3 years old its all down to me that would mean new clutch would only be about 18 months old, not very good for a known fault !!!!

right, ive had a look. the 5 yr warranty on clutch was for earlier vehicles from approx 2011- to late 2013. after that reverts back to 3yrs for some reason. then the tcm module was 5yr extension up to mid 2015 vehicles,

• Like 1

Thanks iantt but unless I can back what you say up with some sort of paper work or ref numbers I will not get anywhere as Fords are telling they have never extended warrant's on any of the above mentioned items ........

pullock has allready put up the fsa numbers. i cant give you any paperwork unfortunatly due to copy right infridgement and this info is fords private and confidental section.

does sound like ford were only offering the 5yr warranty on earlier vehicles with known faulty parts. now in production from mid 2015 the later clutchs seals and tcm modules are probably fitted and deem these issues sorted therefore normal 3 yr 60k warranty is sufficient. as yours is 2015 then its reasonable to assume you have later transmission parts.

My car is registered Sept 2015 and given that I have had the same problems as the earlier builds it is more than probable that I had the earlier parts fitted I can only hope that now they have given me a new clutch assembly Dec 2016 that is is the updated/newer part they have given me.... Oh well I will know in about 15 months depending on whether my car starts to play up or not .. but as I have said before if Fords are satisfied that they have cured the fault then they should have absolutely no problem with giving a new 3 year warranty on the replaced part ... Been a Ford owner all my life but now perhaps its time to look around at other manufacturer's  

On 20/12/2016 at 0:11 AM, Bob-s said:

if Fords are satisfied that they have cured the fault then they should have absolutely no problem with giving a new 3 year warranty on the replaced part 

Most manufacturers only offer warranty to the end of the original vehicle warranty on parts replaced under warranty, unless there is a fleet wide recall issue. 

• Like 1

I am really sorry to say this but the acceptance of people like David (ThaiFiesta) to just accept what they are told or what they are offered as though they have no right to complain  is a typical reason why car manufacturers get away with treating people so shabbily,. People who spend many Thousands of pounds on a New car deserve to be treated with a bit of respect and its only when customers challenge manufacturers will things start to change (NO offence intended to you David ThaiFiesta)

On 27/12/2016 at 10:51 AM, Bob-s said:

I am really sorry to say this but the acceptance of people like David (ThaiFiesta) to just accept what they are told or what they are offered as though they have no right to complain  is a typical reason why car manufacturers get away with treating people so shabbily,. People who spend many Thousands of pounds on a New car deserve to be treated with a bit of respect and its only when customers challenge manufacturers will things start to change (NO offence intended to you David ThaiFiesta)

No offence taken. Unfortunately for us it is in the fine print, so we don't have legal rights to anything more. Warranties on products other than cars generally work the same way.

What we can do, and some have done successfully, is mount a successful argument with your local service manager, take part in an individual or class action against the manufacturer, or generate so much social media upset that the manufacturer changes their conditions. That is precisely what got the extended warranty granted on the TCM module fleet wide (as I understand it). 

• 10 months later...

Hi all, I have read through the forum and would like to share the issue I have for the benefit of any advice you may be able to offer. I have a 63 plate Fiesta 1.6 auto. I bought the car from Toomeys in Laindon, Essex in August of 2016 and on pick it up it shuddered down the road from 1st to 2nd gear. I went immediately back in to the showroom and the salesman came out with me. He suggested the issue was due to the ‘front wheel spin’ as I pulled away. Right…Anyway the problem was very apparent and just two days later I went back to Toomeys who washed their hands of the problem and suggested I took it to Essex Auto Group Ford at Dunton next door. Essex Auto Group were superb. They told me there was a known issue with the gearbox, took the car in and resolved the issue. A few months ago my son moved to Dublin to live with his fiancée and took the car with him. It has now been re-registered. Low and behold, a couple of weeks ago the issue has started again, some 8000 miles after the work was carried out. I telephoned EAG and they said they are unable to carry out warranty work on warranty work and suggested I speak to a Dublin dealer, with a view to that dealer speaking with Ford to try to remedy the situation. I asked what work had been completed and they said there was a TCM software update and a new clutch fitted. They said they couldn’t supply any paperwork as it was a warranty job. I have now written to Ashley Ford in Dublin as per their suggestion and am awaiting a reply. If I manage to resolve this issue, is it going to happen in another 8,000 miles? Do you think I have recourse to get this fixed free of charge as surely 14 months on a new clutch is unacceptable? Any help and advice you are able to give would be gratefully accepted. Thanks, Mark.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club