Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Cover/air Box Removal 2002 Duratec 1.2 Engine

stansnuts

Hi everyone, apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere but can anyone please tell me how I remove the engine cover/air box on a 2002 duratec engine. I have changed the air filter and want to change the plugs and leads but without this !Removed! cover/box out of the way it's a job strictly for a gynaecologist and I suffer from sausage finger syndrome so need all the help I can get!

post-53763-0-72801600-1398609608_thumb.j

post-53763-0-72101100-1398609627_thumb.j

post-53763-0-28354800-1398609646_thumb.j

Stiff! Surely it's fastened on somehow, I tried brute force and the whole engine and airbox were just moving about on the engine mountings and suspension! Are you sure there are no hidden fixings I don't want to damage anything as it's my daughters car?

OK thanks for the info and the diagram, appreciate it, could not find anything on the web/net/ you tube about this particular air box, every other ford one is on there but not this one, thanks again for your help.

All sorted now, thanks for all your help. Discovered a perished crank breather hose underneath the box once I got it off and also no 1 and no3 HT leads had no heat shields on, is this usual?

Also found a water leak from the rear of the engine block, right hand side as you look at the engine from the front of the car, is the water pump located in this area?

• 6 months later...

Hello Dan62. Can you repost please the diagram. I have the same problem as stansnuts and i can't figure out how to remove the air box on the same engine.

I can't see your previous posts, only some slashes( / ).

Thank you.

• 4 months later...

Sorry guys I have the same problem with my 2002 Fiesta with the engine cover but unfortunately can't see your ansewer to the query

• Like 1

Thanks for your diagram although I took this car to two local garages where none of the mechanics knew how to remove this cover which I was amazed at. I could see if it was an obscure type of car but a Ford Fiesta?.

Are you sure that once these pipes are disconnected that the housing just lifts off. I had another try this morning and the entire engine was lifting trying to pull it off.

Its mounted on 4 studs, their positions are indicated by the arrows on the diagram, the cover has rubber grommets and its these grommets being tight that is the problem. Try lifting one corner at a time as indicated by the arrows.

Might help if you can get some wd40 sprayed underneath the housing onto the grommets... if possible.

Cheers job done .. you would never believe how tight those rubber grommets were, you could almost swear they were bolted down. Thanks again much appreciated.

• 5 years later...

They are bolted down somewhere. I have broken those plastic locks, but the top still won't come out.

• 9 months later...

Dan62 

Thank you so much !!!!!   Your linked PDF was spot on, I couldn't believe how easy it was to remove(considering I'm an IT Professional 😲)!   I was honestly expecting hex screws, bolts and clips.

My little fiesta is my 'work horse' that has never failed me apart from this current small water leak which I needed to remove the box in order to fix. (My weekend car is a Jap import MX5 MK1 Eunos!)

I'll certainly pop back here if I need any help on the 'work horse' in the future.

Again, many thanks Dan62  👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club