Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can't Seem To Bleed Clutch, Please Help!! 2004 Fiesta Finesse

Sparticus89

Hello,

I have a 2004 Fiesta Finesse which has recently been showing signs of a faulty Slave Cylinder. I had the master cylinder replaced a few months ago when the clutch pedal dropped to the floor and would not return. I read about the clip that holds the rod in place with the pedal (it wasn't that).

The car has been working ever since the Master Cylinder was changed and now I've lost all pressure my suspicions are that it was never the Master but the Slave. I recently bought a Vizibleed One Man Bleeding System from Halfords (£5.99) - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=204703_en_gb&catalogId=10151#tab3 and have had a bit of success but lost pressure again. I used a brick to press down the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, opened up the slave cylinder bleed screw (Non tool requiring switch looking thing?), watched fluid enter the Vizibleed carton, closed the valve once no more fluid & air came out, then depressed pedal and repeated.

Can someone please tell me how to use this device correctly? I feel like I'm doing everything wrong...

Here's the method I've used in bullet point format :

1. Press pedal all the way to the floor, hold with heavy brick

2. Open up bleed valve and wait till fluid stops coming out

3. Close Valve

4. Release pedal back to up position

5. Press pedal to floor, hold with heavy brick

6. Repeat number 2

Is this correct? Am I meant to keep the reservoir cap off or on? Should the end of the tube that goes into the Vizibleed carton be immersed in fluid (it has a a ball bearing at the bottom to stop air coming back up in the line)?

I am so frustrated as I got pressure back and then lost it....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

M

The tubing has the ball bearing as a stop, there is a slit in the tubing that allows the dispelled air to be released into the container.

No air will be drawn into the system with the tube attached to the nipple.

Have the brake fluid handy ready to refill the reservior.

Remember that brake fluid will ruin your paintwork so be careful you dont spill it.

Crack (Slacken) the bleed nipple so that it can be loosened without difficulty.

Attach the tube to the nipple and turn a little to clear the seating in the cylinder. Doesn't need to be opened much and if you over do it you can draw air in via the nipple threads.

Remove the cap on the brake/clutch fluid reservior, if fluid is low top up. Don't worry if you go past the max line. you'll be pumping it out.

Depress the clutch pedal to the floor and release, repeat this again. Check the bleed canister, there should be fluid in it.

Check the fluid reservior under the bonnet, top up with fluid. Do NOT alow the fluid to run out.

Repeat the pump process once again.

Close the bleed nipple and check the clutch.

Repeat this process if not satisfied. If Ok. check the brake fluid and topup, replace cap, check that the bleed nipple is closed fully

Replace the cap on the brake fluid can, brake fluid is hydoscophic and attracts water/moisture.

Don't ever reuse fluid that has been expelled. dispose of environmentally.

Good luck.

Its easier with two people doing this but its possible with one.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club