Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Tdci Dpf Fault Code - P2458

TomsFocus

Well, I must admit, it does feel better to drive since th regen, less 'constipated' lol. Haven't had any 'hicups' with it and the fault code hasn't come back yet. It's only been a couple of days though so will give it time!

But weirdly, the fans are still running on after shutting the engine off. It's not exactly hot outside now either lol. Are they controlled by the ECU or just a direct temp sensor somewhere? I don't mind them being on if they genuinely need to cool the engine. But I don't want them to be draining the battery if they're just on unnecessarily.

It's controlled by the thermostat, might be worth checking the pipes and hose temperatures make sure there's no blockage or fault. The car may sense a regeneration is still necessary so may proceed anyway to do a passive regeneration if the forced wasn't enough alone to clear it to I ta thresholds

I don't think it's regenerating this time, not sure if the regen issue and the fan issue are even linked now lol, or at least it doesn't feel like it is. Felt a bit hesitant and laggy while it was trying to regen before, and haven't felt that today. Done about 20 miles at 70ish as well so if it needed to clear any more it could've done then.

The water flow will be controlled by the stat, but there must be an electrical connection for the fans somewhere, even if the sensor is part of the stat housing (combined stat and sensor cost £70 on my Vectra!). I could do with one of those laser thermometers really, haven't got any way to test the pipe temperature apart from touching them and going 'ouch, that's hot' haha.

Yeah the ouch that's hot is the most accurate method...

Very true haha.

Got a Haynes for the diesel Focus today (I know they're not everyones cuppa!) so have just consulted that. It seems the fans are controlled by the PCM, using the coolant temp sensor in the stat housing.

I'll take the code reader with me tomorrow and see what the actual temp reading is when I stop anywhere, as I know the dash gauge only shows 90 unless theres a problem (supposed to stop people worrying about it, think not knowing worries me more!).

• Like 1

Well, left the data logger in all day today. Temp gets up to 80, then drops to 77/78 for the entire journey, no matter how much I push it. Dash gauges sits on 90 from an actual 70c.

Fans haven't come on.

So I can only assume the fans WERE on for regen purposes before. Weird, but I'll just leave it for now lol.

Good result either way. Another tick on the box for forscan

Definitely yeah, daren't think how much it'd cost at the dealers lol. Plus the inconvenience and hassle of having to leave the car there!

You would have pis about 190,around 90 for diagnostics and an hours labour!

Couldn't agree more lol. Forscan is great, I might look to do a tutorial on it at some point later, it's a fantastic bit of kit for free. It's got its niggles, but better to have niggles with good results than to have no results and an expensive success lol

• Like 2

When I get the mondeo back I will start looking into it matey :-)

• Like 1

Hey mate you want to try a forced regen on a long run in 4th with high revs about 3000 ish at around 60mph doing this will force the car into forced regen also check glow plugs if they are not working correctly they wi percent a forced regen from working

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

What pressures are you getting from the dpf pressure sensors at idle and when revved you need to find out your exhaust temperature to come reading before and after also where did you get your ford software from thanks

To confirm there is a big difference in forced and passive regeneration jaspal, the passive process is what you refer to. Forced is entirely different in his the car delivers the cleaning cycle.

As above, during the forced regen the DPF gets much hotter, so even sitting at 4k on the motorway for 5 mins wouldn't give the same result as the forced static regen.

Can only read the pressure difference I think, which is very low at idle, about 1 kPa or less, rising to 9kPa under hard acceleration.

The software is free, just search 'FORScan' and you're bound to find it! But you do need a modified ELM327 cable which costs about £15 on eBay, or cheaper if you buy a normal one and mod it yourself.

• Like 1

Passive regen is where car does the regen it self and forced is where you the driver do the regen

Not quite, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Passive regen just occurs when the DPF happens to be hot enough, driving on the motorway at speed for example. Driving at 3k on the motorway may do it, but it wont be a 'forced' regen as such, you're just helping the passive regen.

Active regen is where the ECU/PCM causes the regen itself by altering the injection timing, closing the EGR, blocking the intercooler etc to heat up the exhaust. It can do this at slower speeds as we have the Eolys additive. This happens roughly every 500 miles, and can usually be felt by a slight dip in performance, minor hesitation and the fans still running when you park up. It happens more often if the sensors detect the filter is getting clogged to a certain percentage.

Forced regen is an active regen that is done statically using a diagnostic tool. It heats the exhaust much more than any other type, and also creates a higher exhaust pressure to help blow all the stuff out.

• Like 1

Right on the nose there fella

UPDATE...

The problem is still here. :(

The fault is still coming back. The poor mpg is back and the fans have been on every time I've stopped today. Sigh...

Not sure what to try now?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club