Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dab Convert

russ123

hi all. i have a 2009 mk7 1.25 and im thinking of removing the standard HU that has BT and replaacing it (including dash screen) with an updated sony dab setup. i was after anyones views advice, and to ask if anyone has done the convert before and has any guides or tips.

thanks in advance guys

russell

Hey Russell

This is something we are trying to do with our own car, apart from going from a Bluetooth/USB stock My Sync unit to the DAB version on our MK7.5 2014 Fiesta Zetec

We got from a scrapyard the DAB unit from a wrecked 2014 Zetec S the DAB unit with exact matching connections (albeit obviously the extra Fakra connection for the DAB aerial)

Now obviously behind the centre console of the car if you did not have an existing DAB radio then there will not be a Fakra connector from your aerial mast for DAB, just a solitary one for FM.

This however did not bother us as we can just utilise the external glass mount DAB aerial from our existing car.

It is not just that simple though sadly, after trying out the replacement DAB unit, when you go into the Radio Menu the car still "thinks" its the existing radio and the DAB option does not appear.

We have our car booked in on tuesday for a hopeful software edit to the AS-Built (or at least that is what I think they need to do) to basically tell the car it now has the DAB unit installed at a cost of £43 at our local Ford dealer.

Unfortunately unlike with the Ford Focus with plenty of third party software now out there such as Focccus and Elm327 these are not currently compatible with the Fiesta :( Otherwise it seems it would be pretty simple to do yourself, therefore you are at the mercy of Ford technicians.

With Focccus third party software under central config tab there is a "satellite radio receiver" option, this can be changed to 02 DAB and wrote back to the AS-Built config file. http://www.jamessimpson.co.uk/focccus-central-ecu-config-edit-elm327/

I am under the strong assumption that the Ford technicians would be able to do the same with the official software.

Anyone that is more clued up on this though I would appreciate myself their own input into this thread, else I will update after tuesday with our own findings.

Hopefully in the future (apparantly the team are working on the Fiesta) we will get a fully functioning app like Focccus to remap our own data using a simple £15 lead and our own laptops.

I bought the Fiesta 2013 satnav unit and display for my 2011 Fiesta. I plugged them both into the existing wiring and, whilst things like the gps and sync didn't work (to be expected...am working on it) the DAB just worked...completely! No idea why because I was prepared to forego DAB as I wanted the satnav...my car did not already have DAB either!post-55595-141314234684_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

I might take the plunge a get it. My only concern is going from a 2009 fiesta unit to the updated

The problem is you won't have the standard 24pin audio connector with your car being 2009 and I believe there isn't an adapter available.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

That is weird stumpy, I still am under the impression it is down to existing settings in the as_built data config file and from reading threads from differing Ford Focus models that can be easily tweaked with third party software most certainly there are those that have found there are certain options in the ECU enabled in some cars within a range of vehicles that are not in others, may just be down to how the ECU has been programmed from factory I guess.

Will report back our own findings on tuesday after the cars visit to the Ford dealer garage, have it all hooked up with the DAB lead strewn through behind the glovebox currently awaiting the hopeful software change to enable the DAB option. Then can take the lead up and through the A Pillar frame and mount the coupling box and corresponding aerial mast of the external glass mount DAB aerial.

Good luck and let us know. But I was under the impression you had to replace both the display and headunit together.

I'll wait to here how yours go cicobuff fingers crossed

• Like 1

I might take the plunge a get it. My only concern is going from a 2009 fiesta unit to the updated

The problem is you won't have the standard 24pin audio connector with your car being 2009 and I believe there isn't an adapter available.

This is right, I believe that the 24 Pin connector is the audio connector, the other smaller connector on ours is for the Ford Sync/Bluetooth etc, ours is literally a like for like swap...photos of both units are here.....

nvnn9k.jpg

28c3gar.jpg

1g0oll.jpg

Good luck and let us know. But I was under the impression you had to replace both the display and headunit together.

That is one option we did not do, when we bought the set from the scrapyard it did actually come with the LCD display which has the same code on the back, as well as the centre control panel (volume, menu controls etc, which we did try out) I am not under any impression though that it is anymore than a LCD display and most certainly do not think it holds controlling software, and most certainly the centre control panel didn't make any iota of difference.

I believe the Sony DAB option comes with a different coloured display, the unit we got was the DAB option that is Ford only, it is a £100 extra cost if you buy the car from new in whichever of the base model options you choose, so happens this was taken from a Zetec S wrecked salvage car that obviously had that option.

If we would have bought the car new rather than an ex fleet car that is 6 months old we would have opted for the DAB option as standard.

They will allow a return for a refund if it does not work, however if Ford cannot do it we will be out of pocket with them by £43, not the end of the world but certainly £43 that would have been more at use to the other not quite as convenient option of the autodab add on to the existing stereo.

I'll wait to here how yours go cicobuff fingers crossed

If it does work for ours, then most certainly you would need yourself to look for a like for like replacement, obviously as stumpy has stated if you do not have the 24 pin connector then you will need a like match from the MK7 range of DAB head units.

Before taking the plunge with our own I actually made sure I checked the model number against the picture on eBay of the one we collected from the salvage place, and ensured they would give a refund if it did not work. The helpful guy at the scrapyard did say he used to work for Ford himself (although don't know in what capacity) and he thought it would be down to a software upgrade. After researching further on the whole Focccus software thing as already mentioned I have a strong feeling this is correct.

The other option for you is the autodab units you can get, these are around £150, not cheap but the main problem with owning a Ford Fiesta is really the fact you are pretty much tied into the head unit that comes with the car, it is expensive changing the fascia for a stock radio, and we really do like having sync and advanced bluetooth options we did not have on our existing JVC DAB radio in our previous car.

Just as an additional note, I have tried the last thing I did not try this evening.

I swapped the LCD screen out with the one that came with the DAB Headunit, had the same code on the back, and I was not expecting it to work.

It didn't. But at least I have covered all bases before it goes into Ford tomorrow, hopefully a reprogramming will get it all functioning.

Am really interested to see hear how you get on today.

Am waiting with bated breath here...how did you get on? :D

If it turns out I can't I've had a look at install a touch screen unit (aftermarket) instead

Sorry guys, wife had a conference call and couldn't leave work in the car to make the appt, rebooked for tomorrow...so will update tomorrow evening.

We were both gutted ourselves we couldn't get it sorted today, I don't think we can stomach living without Radio 6 music much longer.

Well...? :D

Well...? :D

Well.... :blink:

Wife took the car in earlier, and we still are not fully wiser! :(

Ford technician could get the option on a pull down box to change the setting from non-dab to dab, however whenever he tried saving the option, when re-reading it would default to non-dab again.

He was under the possible assumption that it could be down to the car not having the loom cable with the Fakra DAB aerial, therefore even though we have an external aerial plugged in there is not the correct loop in the system to enable the change.

My own thoughts on this is perhaps with the aerial mast being powered the fakra connectors both FM and DAB are powered, our external antenna is a passive aerial and the unit may need and is looking for a powered aerial.

Unfortunately needing a phone call to Ford technical HQ (which he needed to progress) would have involved us having to pay out for another half hour time slot to find any answers. Let alone any work on top of that and costs should an aerial loom or any other cabling being needed. After already being £45 out of pocket and seemingly no other input in this thread from any Ford employees that are any the wiser, we most certainly are not going to be further guinea pigs at our own cost! Certainly I cannot say I am too happy with the protocol at Ford in this regard.

He did add depending where the car is manufactured can depend on whether or not certain looms and cabling are put in (whether needed or not) or left out, therefore in some instances changes can work off the bat, other times not. This may explain why some people have success in certain mods whereas others do not.

Would be interested to hear any advice from any Ford technicians if they do lurk in these threads, there again I am guessing it might be against protocol to help end users.....

Certainly will be better when us Fiesta owners (fingers crossed) get third party software like Focccus to tinker ourselves, my first port of call would have been to try out an amplified aerial then tried to save the settings, at £45 a time for a Ford technician to experiment though is not cost effective.

We are considering either the autodab option which is £150 or an el cheapo cigarette lighter DAB option (main manufactuer Corus, but marketed under different names for around £60)

I would just add that if anyone is considering buying a brand new Ford and is considering DAB they pay out there and then. Currently the DAB upgrade is only £100 on top of the cost of the Fiesta, and saves any frustrations in attempting a retrofit with the stock DAB unit like we have attempted, or for that matter the cost of £150 (£199 if fitted) of the aftermarket autodab/connects2 fitting kit.

This experience with Ford has slightly soured our ownership of our nearly new car. It is very frustrating as an end user to be pretty much locked out of the ECU for doing what you want to. :angry:

I'm gutted for you mate. I think that it makes my mind up. I'm going to go for a aftermarket touch screen unit with dab. I would like to find one that is a bit more understated than some of the ones I've seen. Closest one I've seen so far is one called eto 7.

• Like 1

Ford Fiesta MK7-2009 Eto 7' Car Stereo System (mp…:

Ford Fiesta MK7-2009 Eto 7' Car Stereo System (mp…:

Was trying post link to you tube video. But if you search for fiesta mk7 2009 eto 7 it will show the one I mean

I'm gutted for you mate. I think that it makes my mind up. I'm going to go for a aftermarket touch screen unit with dab. I would like to find one that is a bit more understated than some of the ones I've seen. Closest one I've seen so far is one called eto 7.

One good thing, we can return for refund the headunit. My wife uses her mobile phone for sat nav, so the cost of something like that (although the eto 7 I do not believe is compatible with the new Fiestas 2013+) for DAB is too costly for our own use, otherwise looks great.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club