Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Wired In A Dashcam?

Mental_Atom

Has anyone wired a dashcam to a mk7.5 Fiesta? I would like to get one however I don't like the hassle of plugging/unplugging it the whole time so if I was gonna I'd want it hardwired.

Any advice/suggestions is very welcome :)

I didn't want to pull any trim apart so I just routed the cable as best I could. A 3 metre cable can reach from the rear view mirror round the passenger visor, to the clothes hook behind the passenger seat and around the seat to the front 12V socket. The only real downside is that it gets in the way if you need to use both the rear seats.

I routed my cables behind the front edge of the headlining, tucked it into the top edge of the passenger side A pillar trim, then behind the lip of the door seal till it could be fed behind the glovebox.

I then used one of these to plug in a live when car is on,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310917899244

And used that to connect this to plug the camera plug into.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181276363870

• Like 1

I routed my cables behind the front edge of the headlining, tucked it into the top edge of the passenger side A pillar trim, then behind the lip of the door seal till it could be fed behind the glovebox.

I then used one of these to plug in a live when car is on,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310917899244

And used that to connect this to plug the camera plug into.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181276363870

I see, how hard would you say it is? Bearing in mind I'm an absolute novice and tend to break whatever I touch when it comes to cars, would you recommend doing it? I may be being a fool here but how does the second link connect to the first one?

It is fairly easy if you are ok at DIY, any mates ok with electrics? Should take 30-40mins.

On the socket in the link, you cut the clips off, the red wire connects to the fuse holder from the first link using the blue crimp, the black wire needs a ring crimp fitting and it then connects to the bolt jaunt above the fuse box.

As a temporary install when I first got the cam I routed the cable the same way, but instead of going behind the dash went further down, behind any trim I could and then under the passenger mat to the front 12v socket. It wasn't that noticeable but I wanted the cables hidden away.

It is fairly easy if you are ok at DIY, any mates ok with electrics? Should take 30-40mins.

On the socket in the link, you cut the clips off, the red wire connects to the fuse holder from the first link using the blue crimp, the black wire needs a ring crimp fitting and it then connects to the bolt jaunt above the fuse box.

As a temporary install when I first got the cam I routed the cable the same way, but instead of going behind the dash went further down, behind any trim I could and then under the passenger mat to the front 12v socket. It wasn't that noticeable but I wanted the cables hidden away.

Yeah that all sounds way too complex for me lol, but I do have a few friends who are mechanics/electricians so maybe I'll ask them for a hand :P Doesn't sound too hard but I don't trust myself!

Cheers for the tips!

Honestly mate, it's easy.

Another alternative is to buy a replacement power lead - one with the right USB one end and a couple of bare wires the other (and the gizmo to drop it from 12 to 5v - not a transformer, it's DC - that bit I do remember)

Assuming you do, and have routed your cable:

Take your piggyback fuse holder and attach the wire to the red one on your power lead.

With your other (black) lead from the power pack, find an earth point and secure it. It should be a bolt in the bodywork with a few black wires secured to it

Find an ignition live in the fusebox (someone on here will no doubt have a Fiesta fuse to use). Pull out the fuse, stick a piggyback fuse holder in its place. Fit original fuse in the bottom slot and a new fuse in top.

And Robert is the male sibling of a parent.

Takes less than 10 minutes!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Resurecting an older thread, anyone know whats a good choice to add a fuse for a switched live socket, My Ecotronic is effectivly a Style model and I double ford leave withing undne the fuze box will be fully wiured so they cna use a standardard harness / wiring loom.

. Any suggesitons where I cam poiggyback or put in a fuse (in the car before any smart replies!!)

• 1 year later...

Thanks I'm going to try this. what size are the fuses so I can get the right tap. standard/mini/micro? 

Thanks in advance 

Thanks I'm going to try this. what size are the fuses so I can get the right tap. standard/mini/micro? 

Thanks in advance 

Standard fuses are the norm.  Halfords sell the piggy back connectors. Don't be afraid of breaking anything, the job is really comparitivily easy.  Tuck the cable up intp the headlining. pull the rubber door seal away from the corner of the door shut, tuck the cable behind the front door pillar . At the base of the dash there is a small slot., feed the cable through here to the fuse board. This where the problem lies, which fuse to connect to? Different models have differnet wiring schemes. You really need a meter to test which is permanent live and which is switched, (ignition).

If you talk to Halford nicely they may do this for you or take it to an auto electrian, normally costs around £35.00.Around a 30 minute job.

I wouldn't get Halfords to do this tbh, they'll probably want to be more violent with the trim than necessary. 

Easy job to do yourself 

• Like 1

On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 at 8:38 PM, Mental_Atom said:

Has anyone wired a dashcam to a mk7.5 Fiesta? I would like to get one however I don't like the hassle of plugging/unplugging it the whole time so if I was gonna I'd want it hardwired.

Any advice/suggestions is very welcome :)

I have wired a USB power socket to an ignition live feed in the passenger fuse box as saw in my guide here: Fitting Dual Camera DVR System Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5Click Here 

Done on a focus but every vehicle has an ignition live feed and a fuseboard, will work just the same on your model 👍

IMG_20141224_082942_zpsqaavga0x.jpg

IMG_20141224_091703_zpsuklekdss.jpg

IMG_20141224_133615_zpsbctbso78.jpg

621141711_o_zpslhkterp_edit_141676461801

IMG_20141206_113506_zpsfuxkrqrg.jpg

IMG_20141206_113439_zpsgiyfnoi3.jpg

IMG_20141208_124930_zpsrwcvmama.jpg

I've also fitted a 3 Metre USB cable to the second port to power the tomtom SatNav when in use; without trailing cables across the centre console of the dashboard.

IMG_20150323_075938_zps6vwfuxjw.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club