Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter Tyres

Micro

I was looking at spare wheels due to possibly damaging my alloys and cost of refitting and rebalancing - I don't intend on doing that though - and anything hard enough to damage the alloy will probably damage other stuff too.

Snow socks have been used whilst at work and I have been most impressed how well they work even on a rear heavy FWD Renault master, so may still get a set just in case!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

You probably spotted this video in the link to the other topic I posted but worth posting again here. Who would have thought a BMW M3 could plough through snow? :lol:

• Like 1

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/which-winter-tyres-should-i-choose

14yrs driving as i said never needed them no accidents no near accidents and where i am we get it bad personally in the uk its not an issue other countries it is each to their own whatever youre comfortable with

You don't need them in the same way you don't need a lot of things but they are far safer.

A summer tyre with the same tread pattern still won't compare as it's the rubber etc that goes into the winter tyre and 'sipes' in the tread that set them apart.

14 years without an accident doesn't show winter tyres aren't worth it. I've driven without them for years without an accident and now with them without an accident.

They promote far more confidence when it's cold. Note the difference between confidence and arrogance.

I didn't have winter tyres (in fact, what i'd class as "economy" summer tyres) for the winter of 2012. My 2002 Corsa still got me everywhere I wanted, including 50 miles in fresh/compacted snow and slush (and un-plowed roads).

I am, however, quite aware that my Focus is 1) heavier 2) has fatter tyres 3) is more powerful. It's handling characteristics are completely different to my previous car.

I'm assuming on steel wheels I will need different nuts to my alloys (not concerned with locking wheel nuts). Assuming these are OK from a ford dealer? (Steel Wheel Nuts x20)

Definitely stick with Ford approved one's to be safe. Aside from kerbing the wheel when I had the old Fez ST, I managed to get through in snow too but as you said, with money not an issue, you can be a lot safer and prepared for circumstances and situations that would have even stumped the Corsa.

Keep us posted on progress.

They're from Allen Ford who I've heard mentioned on here before.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

Haha i've heard better things!

I'd hope they're not offering duff wheel nuts, although having been a passenger in a vehicle which only had 1 wheel nut out of 5 before now (was noticed after being on the motorway...) I have a lot of faith in modern metallurgy.

Read about Allen Ford in that thread... why do companies try sidestepping the SoGA?

--

Just bought 4 205/55 R16 91H Nokian WR-A3 winter tyres for the princely sum of... £192 - delivered. All fitted for £32 down the local tyre shop.

Finnish tyre brand, lots of raving reviews and videos, especially the dry/wet grip. I was definately kind of won over! (Ignore the first review... seems to be a bit outlying)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nokian/WR-A3.htm

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to post the company website here, so PM me for the address (Or if i'm allowed to post it i'll do so).

Excellent purchase. After a mild weekend, the forecast is leaning towards frost and fog next week, certainly temps below +7C. Get them fitted and enjoy the peace of mind!

Arrived this morning (Only ordered 24 hours ago!). Four new Nokian WR-A3 205/55/R16 91H. Will be fitted on Monday - Be interesting to compare them to the economy/budget summer tyres I had before!

Budget summer tyres? Jeez! They would have been even worse in icy or snowy conditions. Top quality summer tyres don't compare to winter tyres in such conditions so you made a wise decision.

If you had stuck with them and encountered some good ice and snow, it would have been a case of our father who art in heaven, I'll be there in a minute...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club