Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problems Fuelling Mk4 With "easy Fuel" Cap

ralph

When filling up my mk4 1.8 TDCI (2010) I invariably have problems at my local Shell garage with the thing keep clicking off despite being nowhere near full..This is usually worse after a long journey. No problems at other garages .. Just Shell.

Yesterday I tried filling up after a 100 mile journey. Tank nearly empty but nozzle clicking off every few seconds. After 10 mins with an impatient queue behind me (eyes boring into the back of my head) only managed to 3/4 fill the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

are you actually holding the pump properly?

sounds silly but i experienced the same the first fill up or two till i realized i was holding the pump at the wrong angle

theres even a diagram inside the fuel flap showing the angle you need to hold it and i havent had a problem since

I had the same till I got the angle right, not sure what this filler brings to the car, nowt wrong with a standard filler IMHO

I also find that Shell is more difficult than other brands of fuel station (and I don't know why). What I also find is that if you put the nozzle in, in the natural way, and then hold the handle over to one side (so you move the handle over to, eg, the left and the nozzle pivots to the right) you can fill at a reasonable rate; not necessarily the full rate that the pump would do, but fast enough so that no one thinks that you trying to put a full tanker's worth in.

The idea of the 'easy fuel' (odd name, given that it doesn't really make fuelling easier) is that a Diesel nozzle fills a a Diesel and a Petrol Nozzle fills a Petrol, and not the other way around.

I had this issue repeatedly.... I tend to put the weight down on the pump handle. if I lift it upwards it clicks off at Shell, but if I push it down, its fine...

Can't say I have a picture on my flap as us referenced in that thread lol

You've probably tried everything, but I noticed when you put the nozel of the pump in the hole its important to not lift up the handel of the nozel when filling. its got to be hard down

• Like 1

You've probably tried everything, but I noticed when you put the nozel of the pump in the hole its important to not lift up the handel of the nozel when filling. its got to be hard down

What he said

Also post #5 in the thread I linked.

I honestly thought I had a big problem the first two or three times I filled up as the car I had before this also had an "easyfill" system (Volvo V40 Cross Country) and I never had any bother with it.

• 5 years later...

I borrowed a mk 4 Mondeo tried fuelling got diesel pouring out on floor under bumper trying to avoid Fuel pump clicking out all the time any ideas x nozzle felt very loose inside filler 

Edited by Imaassman
Mis spell

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club