Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Clutch Clutch

London's Finest

Hey guys,

Just wondering, but how do I test my clutch? Recently, the bites been feeling quite high. I don't think my clutch has gone yet, as its not slipping but any ideas? The biting point i'd say is about 2 pound coins width from the pedal being fully released. Oh and when I shift gears, recently I've noticed the revs do go up a little, perhaps by 100- 200rpms?

Note: When I travel, im always in stop-start traffic if that's of any significance.

That's a slipping clutch unfortunately....

Oh...Um. That's bad. But when I drive normally, it doesnt over rev..even if you give it the beans, it doesn't rev up madly when you're driving. For example, if I floor it at 50mph, 5th gear, it accelerates up to 70 with no issues and the engine doesnt rev up unnecessarily. The car revs up with load gradually.

How much does a clutch job usually cost? :/ and how long can I drive this car?

Nah it sounds like your at early stages, depending how you drive and the lack of slip on flooring it, you could get a few thousand miles our of it,or you could find it goes quicker in a thousand. Depending where you go though clutch job is about 400 or so

• Like 1

Cheers mate! I hope that's the case.

If its not slipping yet I would just keep driving it until you do feel it starting to go or if the high bite annoys you - doesn't sound like there is much left on your clutch to be fair if its as high as you say. Even when you do start to feel it slipping, it will still go for a good bit but i wouldn't advise it.

I changed a clutch for a mate of mine, I could barely get the car out the parking space in reverse without it slipping and revving like mad so i have no idea how he got the car to me but apparently it had been like that for a long time!

was pictures on here somewhere.

• Like 1

I remember that clutch, it was almost like there was no plate left lol

• Like 1

I remember that clutch, it was almost like there was no plate left lol

thats the one! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Resolved! As it turns out there was a couple of factors.

1.) having size 10.5 feet isn't good in a tiny car and therefore the accelerator sometimes got struck a little (very rarely) and sometimes the clutch wasn't fully depressed ( like short of maybe 2cms? given the car mat etc)

2.) biggest cause, brake fluid was leaking out from front caliper and that reduced the clutch fluid levels, all fixed and brimmed and now it runs smooth.

Result!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club