Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking Noise At The Back.

Nick1977

Hi new member, so apologies if this is in the incorrect place. I've noticed a clunking noise at the rear of the car when driving over pot holes. Thinking it's rear sub frame bushes. Been to one garage just to get a quote, said he only replace the whole sub frame and that he doesn't fit just the bushes. Is this correct? Thanks

No the only reason to change the sub frame is ifits corroded, bushes are a straight forward job, I did mine on my Mk3 estate and they have just been done on my mk4 estate, upgrade bushes are available for the saloons but not the estate.

Do a search for polybushes it will give a couple of how todos also what's available, if you ok with tools it not a bad job.

Hi thanks, I've seen them on eBay. Think they're a red colour. Do i need a specific tool to change them?

Do a web Search for changing subframe bushes on mk3 Mondeo there are a couple of good how tos out there

Thanks I'll have a look through. I've found on eBay the poly bushes also the tool for the removal and fitting.

There are 2 different sets of bushes the main subframe and the trailing arm bushes the tool is for the trailing arm bushes

Ah right. I'm going to have to consult the Oracle (haines manual) as I've absolutely no idea which set is causing the knocking.

The main subframe bushes are glued in originally, fordpartsuk used to sell the kit.

Ok thanks. I'll have to double check which is which before i start buying parts.

The main sub frame ones are hard to get out but not impossible you have to burn them out then clean up with wire brushes then you use the old bolts and washers to press them in

How would i know what's causing the problem, without taking it a garage? Is there away of testing them?

Stick a big lever in and start playing about, see if you can get any movement on any of the bushes

Ford quote 1.7 hours for both sides, labour, Just recently had mine done on my Mk4, removal of subframe is not nescessary. It's only last year when Ford decided to sell bushes for the Mk4. Only one of mines was defective, I had them both done

Just been to ATS to have it checked out. Apparently it's the rear drop links. One has gone and one is on its way out. They've said it's £97 for the pair fitted and tracked. eBay sell a pair for a tenner. Are they easy to fit? Look like it's just a couple of nuts.

Hahahah sounds like ATS.

Yes they are very easy to replace, and there's no need to have tracking done either! up to their old tricks like kwik fit and the likes

Ahh well I'll order the parts and do it myself stuff them. At least they've identified the problem.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club