Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smell Of Diesel When I Stop In Traffic Or Reverse

Peterfix

Hi, I recently purchased my mk 2 focus 1.6 tdci estate car to replace my company car due to retirement.all seems well ,she goes quite nicely,however when I stop in traffic or reverse a little I get a strong smell of old diesel in the passenger compartment,but not if the fan is set to off.so far I have replaced the oil and filter the pollen filter and engine air filter to no avail.the gear-lever gaiter was holed so that was replaced still with no improvement.the rubber seal along the rear of the engine bay,in front of the air intake(below the windscreen ) was loose ,now reinstated still has not solved the smell.if I have been on the road a stop the car and walk around it I get the same strong smell of old diesel? I would appreciate any help /comments.this car has 107,000 on the clock. Much obliged peter

Hi check the turbo pipe from the air cleaner mine was like that there was a small split under the pipe

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Hi John,nice one!,I removed and checked the pipe for cracks,it was sound,but the small Tee off to the rocker cover has an "O" ring which seem worn a that joint is very sloppy ,I taped up the joint as temporary measure whilst I get the proper ring.the temporary solution is working ok. Many thanks

Much obliged Peter

No problem like to help

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• 1 year later...

Eventually fixed it with new injector seals , have proven over sensible test period , thanks for everyone's help! ,Peter

• Like 1

On 16/07/2016 at 11:13 PM, Peterfix said:

Eventually fixed it with new injector seals , have proven over sensible test period , thanks for everyone's help! ,Peter

Thanks for the feedback, always useful. I presume the old seals were leaking were leaking burnt & unburnt gases into the engine bay. I expect your mpg has improved after the fix!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club