Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol For Sts..

paulyinthenorth

Driving to my mates yesterday with the windows down - revving hard up to about 3500 revs in second gear I hear all manor of clicky clattering sounds from the engine for maybe a second or two. No loss of power though. I eased off. And the sound went away.

I'm wondering if this is cheap Asda petrol or something more sinister? I'll try to recreate it again. And also fill up with some decent fuel next time.

Anyone else ever have issues like this?

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I've never heard anything like that, and if it is due to cheap fuel I wouldn't know because I only use V-Power.

you sure the noise just wasn't amplified by driving down a narrow road or something?

I'll deffo put something better in the next couple of times.

And nah, I was on a wide road.

It scared the bejesus out of me in truth.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Fuel won't make a difference tbh, also something else to consider.

Fuel loses octane over time, a garage like ASDA will sell a lot more fuel than a Shell Garage charging near £130P/L, so the Supermarket fuel will be fresher than something that isn't as popular, I always and only ever really use Sainsbury Super, seems to be the best out there from experience.

Shell my Fiesta never liked it, same for Tesco 99, the car is as standard mapped to 95RON after all.

Thats a good point about the fuel actually.. I'll fill up with some Tesco/Esso Momentum. Healthy compromise.

Thinking about this, the sound was kinda like a little burst of "pinking".

But I didn't really think this happened to modern cars..?

I might take it back to the dealership anyhow - the clutch or the flywheel or something is really "clicky" when gears engage too. Reading on some other forums though this seems fairly normal on some cars - either your ST does it, or it doesn't.

• Like 1

my gear change was fairly clunky, especially going into 1st and 2nd the rest were fine.

Mine always clicked once on start up, you'd put it in 1st and drive for like 20 secs and then a big click came and went just once and it seemed to gain a burst of power, happened every single time you started up, warm or cold.

my gear change was fairly clunky, especially going into 1st and 2nd the rest were fine.

Mine always clicked once on start up, you'd put it in 1st and drive for like 20 secs and then a big click came and went just once and it seemed to gain a burst of power, happened every single time you started up, warm or cold.

That's the ABS pump self test. This happens every time at start up and usually around 18mph. The old Focus did this.

I've never noticed that "click" myself, will have to watch out for it. I find the gearbox is always fine, except sometimes it doesn't want to go into 1st at the most inappropriate time lol (when the lights go green).

Too much wheel spinning from the go to notice eh Phil?

• Like 2

Too much wheel spinning from the go to notice eh Phil?

Lol, actually I probably set off slower than any other ST driver, I just use 1st to get moving.

Just a quick update..

Run the tank down to about 20 miles range.. filled with Tesco/ESSO "momentum" 99 RON petrol - same price as diesel it was. Ouch!

Took the car for a blast on the motorway.

So far under the same conditions this noise hasn't occurred again.

And actually, it sounds a hell of a lot smoother. Unless that's just a placebo effect :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Fixed at 5P more the Tesco and Sainsbury stuff.

It should make it run better, not quicker in most cases but a boosted car should always run a bit smoother with premium fuel, better combustion.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club