Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mileage when buying new

TonyEssex

Mine had 11 miles. Which is correct for the distance from where it was held to where it was delivered when I picked it up.

Can't remember, 7 sticks in my mind but I could just be making that up. Fairly sure it was less than 10.

did you question why it had 32 miles on the clock? was there any paperwork to say that it was delivered from the factory with 32 miles on it?

have heard reports where dealerships lend out new cars to staff to borrow until the buyer picks the car up :angry:

Originaly i had a build date but then i was informed about one at their stoke dealership so basicaly the extra miles came from delivering it to my local dealer. That was preferable to a long wait lol

Hi all, interested to see what mileage your cars had on them when you picked up your new mk7 fiestas.

When I bought a new focus (factory build) it had 12 miles on it.

In america if it has more than 300 miles on it the car is not classed as new.

Now I know they need to do some tests on the car before handing the car over plus driving it from the factory to the transporters.

So curious to find out what the average mileage is and what is not acceptable.

Thanks

Mine had done 19.4 miles - though part of that (approx 9 miles?) would have been the mileage covered during "delivery" from the supplying dealer in Chesterfield to my home in Sheffield. Wasn't able to collect from the dealer myself because my car was supplied by Lloyds TSB CarSelect (who, incidentally, charged an extremely competititive price!)

Mine had done 19.4 miles - though part of that (approx 9 miles?) would have been the mileage covered during "delivery" from the supplying dealer in Chesterfield to my home in Sheffield. Wasn't able to collect from the dealer myself because my car was supplied by Lloyds TSB CarSelect (who, incidentally, charged an extremely competititive price!)

if my mileage is anything over 20 miles im not going to be happy, and will question why it needed to be driven so much, ould of thought the consumer should have certain rights that if the dealership gives you money back for every say 50 miles driven

Mine had 13 when I went to look at it in the showroom and then 16 a week later when I went to collect

if my mileage is anything over 20 miles im not going to be happy, and will question why it needed to be driven so much, ould of thought the consumer should have certain rights that if the dealership gives you money back for every say 50 miles driven

There is no relevance to the mileages being quoted by individuals in this thread.

The mileage on the clock is what the dealer wants it to be and will adjust it if necessary.

The consumer has no legal defined rights regarding delivery mileage as this is not contracted for at the time of order placement. Should the delivery mileage be un-acceptable in the opinion of the customer then it would be up to them to prove that it had a detrimental effect upon the long performance/life of the vehicle.

The mileage on the clock is what the dealer wants it to be and will adjust it if necessary.

You make it sound like they can just plug in a computer and reset the clocks to whatever mileage they please - I don't buy that somehow.

...and surely that would mean the dealers were breaking the law....which if its as widespread as you imply would mean they'd get caught out by whistle blowers and under-cover reporters all the time?

seems like the comsumer gets screwed as the dealership can put any mileage on the car, and we dont get a foot to stand on, as you dont know if the work experience kid at the dealership has been thrashing the car round the local industrial estate.

looks like the only way to maximise protecting yourself is to arrange pick up as soon as is humanly possible.

looks like ill be camping outside the dealers when they give me pick up date :lol:

You make it sound like they can just plug in a computer and reset the clocks to whatever mileage they please - I don't buy that somehow.

...and surely that would mean the dealers were breaking the law....which if its as widespread as you imply would mean they'd get caught out by whistle blowers and under-cover reporters all the time?

It you take the trouble to look inside the small drop down flap to the right of the driver you will see a small interface socket that gives access to the vehicle's ECU. From here it is possible to plug in any laptop equipped with the right diagnostic software to alter many engine parameters and the odometer read out.

I gave no indication that this was wide spread, only a number of possible occasions which may give rise to a higher than expected reading.

Regarding the legality aspect - catch me if you can. Changes, if any are generally quite small and in no way attempt to alter the sale value of the vehicle, as it has already be sold. How ever should this happen after the initial sale, and can be proved then thats a very different matter.

seems like the comsumer gets screwed as the dealership can put any mileage on the car, and we dont get a foot to stand on, as you dont know if the work experience kid at the dealership has been thrashing the car round the local industrial estate.

looks like the only way to maximize protecting yourself is to arrange pick up as soon as is humanly possible.

looks like ill be camping outside the dealers when they give me pick up date :lol:

At last some one understands the motor trade.

It's always in the dealers best interest to ensure that the punter goes away feeling happy and he has got a good deal. In the motor trade there's only one winner, and guess who?

Your legal rights of entitlement only commence after you have taken and signed for the vehicle.

Generally when signing for take over of the vehicle you will have agreed to and inspected it and deemed it to be of satisfactory/acceptable quantity.

At last some one understands the motor trade.

It's always in the dealers best interest to ensure that the punter goes away feeling happy and he has got a good deal. In the motor trade there's only one winner, and guess who?

Your legal rights of entitlement only commence after you have taken and signed for the vehicle.

Generally when signing for take over of the vehicle you will have agreed to and inspected it and deemed it to be of satisfactory/acceptable quantity.

10corsham (fairly Newbie)

If I inspect the vehicle and am in any way dissatisfied (eg too high a mileage on the clock), can I withhold the balance due and demand the return of my deposit on the basis that I consider the delivery mileage too high. Where do I stand legally?

I think , please correct me if I am wrong anyone, that if you are not happy with the vehicle, then the dealership have the opportunity to put wrong the fault, as long as its justified?

In regards to mileage I would want to see documentation saying how much mileage it left the factory with as I believe they do the checks there?

Would like to know what happens if you are not happy with the mileage, get a new factory order, or some freebies?

The car would have some mileage on it due to road tests cars undergo in the factory. This may not mean taking it out on the road but some factorys have a test track.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club