Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 7 - USB Data Stick

paulworthing

Just a quick one - before I go out and buy one - does a USB stick work in the new Mk 7 as they are cheaper (about the cost of that 'Y' cable) and it would be nice to have something that I can leave in the car (take out of the USB port and throw into the door bin) rather than having to keep taking my iPod Nano with me wherever I go.

If it does work, does anyone use it and can you do all the same things, voice control etc, that you can if you were using an MP3 player?

Just a quick one - before I go out and buy one - does a USB stick work in the new Mk 7 as they are cheaper (about the cost of that 'Y' cable) and it would be nice to have something that I can leave in the car (take out of the USB port and throw into the door bin) rather than having to keep taking my iPod Nano with me wherever I go.

If it does work, does anyone use it and can you do all the same things, voice control etc, that you can if you were using an MP3 player?

I don't have the USB port but I do know what USB keys will work fine. I don't know about the controls though, it's hard to imagine why they shouldn't.

I've bought a new USB stick on the understanding that it would work fine. Everything I've read would suggest that it will just read the files and folders off the drive.

Still, it would be nice if someone could confirm it, as I don't have the car yet!

I don't have the USB port but I do know what USB keys will work fine. I don't know about the controls though, it's hard to imagine why they shouldn't.

Well that's what I was thinking although I do not want to go out and buy one, and load it up with music, to arrive at the garage on delivery day to find that it does not work as I want it too.

In my other thread, I was having a discussion about what file formats the car would accept (mp3 only it seems). That would imply that the car stereo is doing the decoding, and the USB stick is simply acting as a storage device.

Most USB MP3 players connect to computers as a 'Mass Storage Device' (there are exceptions, such as the iPod), which means it acts the same way as a standard USB stick as far as the computer is concerned. I would think that any USB storage device will work with the car. The only possible issue is the formatting, which I would expect to be FAT32.

and FAT32 means what?

It's the file system on the memory stick, most PCs are NTFS nowadays, older ones are FAT32 and memory sticks, etc still use FAT32.

...read it as, nothing to worry about :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys but has anyone actually got the USB port and uses a USB Memory stick with it???

Thanks for all the feedback guys but has anyone actually got the USB port and uses a USB Memory stick with it???

Hi Paul, I use USB memory sticks and mp3's, have tried all varios cominations (2,4+8GB) and various bitrates. Found the best combiation for sound quality is to rip at 320kbps and use a 8GB usb stick. TRhis will allow 35-40 albums to be held on file and give you cd quality playback.

Cant comment on voice control as i haven't tried it yet but the shuffle feature works well ie: folder(album) or all.

When i copy to USB all I do is drag and drop from music on my desktop to the open folder for the USB stick.

Hope this helps :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes - I have and I do! I leave the memory stick in the port all the time (I reckon taking it in and out will do it no good.) As previously said it does need to be FAT32, but that's how they come I think. You may be best reformatting it, particularly if there is any password protection software on it.

My only problem with it is that I have set up playlists - one is very large with about 650 tracks. When I select it it comes up with a USB reading error, waits a few seconds and then plays it okay. I presume there is some sort of timeout for reading the playlist information. Other than that it is brilliant.

All files need to be mp3. They can be in folders (there is a limit of I think 99 tracks per folder and a limit of how deep the folders can go - but it is in the manual). The playlists have to be in m3u format - but Windows media Player can do that for you.

Thanks Taz - just what I wanted to know - tbh I am not that bothered about the voice activation thing for the music as I tend to put a CD on and listen to that but it is good to know that an 8gb stick will hold that much music.

Now all I have to do is find a matching green one . . .

Yes - I have and I do! I leave the memory stick in the port all the time (I reckon taking it in and out will do it no good.) As previously said it does need to be FAT32, but that's how they come I think. You may be best reformatting it, particularly if there is any password protection software on it.

My only problem with it is that I have set up playlists - one is very large with about 650 tracks. When I select it it comes up with a USB reading error, waits a few seconds and then plays it okay. I presume there is some sort of timeout for reading the playlist information. Other than that it is brilliant.

All files need to be mp3. They can be in folders (there is a limit of I think 99 tracks per folder and a limit of how deep the folders can go - but it is in the manual). The playlists have to be in m3u format - but Windows media Player can do that for you.

More information - cool

Not sure I would need a playlist that long as I would never go anywhere where I would need that amount of music and prefer to have trackes kept as CD's - and if I did want that amount of music I guess I could suffle the whole thing.

Just one more question as you use this feature all the time. Some of the other threads talk about how badly positioned the USB port is for an iPod with regard to using the handbreak - have you found this to be the case with the USB stick or did you buy a 'shorter' one to get round this problem?

More information - cool

Not sure I would need a playlist that long as I would never go anywhere where I would need that amount of music and prefer to have trackes kept as CD's - and if I did want that amount of music I guess I could suffle the whole thing.

Just one more question as you use this feature all the time. Some of the other threads talk about how badly positioned the USB port is for an iPod with regard to using the handbreak - have you found this to be the case with the USB stick or did you buy a 'shorter' one to get round this problem?

I've bought one of these 16GB USB Stick - Scan.co.uk, which sticks out by about 1cm.

It's tiny, and should be perfect for the job. I think the complaint with the iPods is there is nowhere to actually put the thing once plugged in!

Oh, and I'm delighted to hear about m3u playlists. I asked in another thread, but didn't get a definite answer. You (kpo) say files must be mp3. What about wav?

Thanks.

If someone doesn't beat me to it I'll take a pic of a normal sized memory stick so you can see, I use my Ipod though, so I'm not sure if it would get in the way when driving.

I've bought one of these 16GB USB Stick - Scan.co.uk, which sticks out by about 1cm.

That would be perfect for what I want - and I see it's chrome too so I guess as I am getting a Titanium then it could remain unpainted or alternatively, get a tin of Squeeze green and spray it to match!

Mine is 4Gb from Argos - one of their cheaper ones (about £7-8 I think), and I would reckon it is an average size, and it is no problem. It certainly doesn't get in the way of the handbrake itself, but I suppose it's just possible that it could make it awkward to get hold of the handbrake if you have big hands! Seriously I think it would have to be quite big to be a problem.

Hi Paul, I use USB memory sticks and mp3's, have tried all varios cominations (2,4+8GB) and various bitrates. Found the best combiation for sound quality is to rip at 320kbps and use a 8GB usb stick. TRhis will allow 35-40 albums to be held on file and give you cd quality playback.

Cant comment on voice control as i haven't tried it yet but the shuffle feature works well ie: folder(album) or all.

When i copy to USB all I do is drag and drop from music on my desktop to the open folder for the USB stick.

Hope this helps :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know that using taz777's reconings, this will only hold about 8 CDs . .

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...text>USB.htm

I know that using taz777's reconings, this will only hold about 8 CDs . .

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...text>USB.htm

Not sure about the settings on mine, but a 4Gb drive holds over 600 tracks and isn't full (used about 3.2Gb). The quality is as good as I can tell. I've just looked at the properties on a couple of tracks and it appears to be 192kbps.

Thinking this is going to be cheaper than the Y Cable too - unless the dealer throws one in for free!

Because road/engine noise will drown out the finer details in the music anyway, anything 128kbps or above should be suitable for in car music.

Because road/engine noise will drown out the finer details in the music anyway, anything 128kbps or above should be suitable for in car music.

Don't wanna seem thick but will this be clearly displayed on the packaging when I order/buy one?

The 'kbps' is the 'bitrate' of the music i.e. the quality of the digital recording. When you convert CDs to mp3s you can set what quality you want (32, 64, 128, 320kpbs etc.), and the quality will determine the size of the file you end up with (as well as the length of the track of course). 128kbps will have enough quality to not notice any distortions while you are driving (at home on decent Speakers, you'd want a higher quality though, as you'd notice it more).

Any stick you buy will take any quality you like, but the higher the quality, the fewer tracks you'll be able to fit on the stick, so you might need a bigger capacity stick if you have a lot of music and really want the higher quality.

Don't feel thick! If you've never been exposed to this stuff before it's hardly your fault. We've all got to learn stuff at some point ;) .

Oh, and if you want a quick reference: I have 1,643 tracks, and that fits into 6.5GB of storage. I could have fit it all on a 8GB stick, but I bought a 16GB because it wasn't much more expensive and it allows me to expand my collection more in future.

Oh, and if you want a quick reference: I have 1,643 tracks, and that fits into 6.5GB of storage. I could have fit it all on a 8GB stick, but I bought a 16GB because it wasn't much more expensive and it allows me to expand my collection more in future.

Thanks for the info - would have to say that as you can see from the car I am getting and also the previous links I have put up about the USB's I like the look of - I am more about style than substance . . (found some lovely gold 'bullet' USB sticks on eBay last night too!!)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club