Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replaced O/s Control Arm Today And Made A Guide Also.

simcor

Replaced the off side lower control arm today and made a bit of a guide to assist others with tackling this job, hope people find it useful although I always wish I had taken more action pictures, although having someone else to take the photos makes it easier to do so.

The drivers side arm would not line up the front bush bolt holes so I now have a replacement to try for that side and hope the second one fits, if not it will have to be exchanged for another brand. This is always the downside sometimes when using aftermarket parts.

Link here http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/tutorials/article/297-lower-control-arm-replacement-guide/

Simon

• Like 4

iam sure we will find this very helpful good guide

great write up ,wise move like you said put spare wheel under car just in case

paul

Replaced the N/S arm this morning. It was still a bit awkward to get the front bush bolt hole to line up but with a bit of jiggery pokery it did go in, so I think the first arm was not a good fit, this bush slid into the gap easier on the second arm. Also updating the guide as the Allen key is actually 6mm not 7mm.

Simon

• 1 year later...

I'm looking to change mine NS control arm soon, my OS one was done at Halfords, rather badly has it happens to get it through an MOT but the NS one isn't much better.

Anyone have any preferences on branding? ford ones are about 160 quid or there abouts, but if anyone knows a manufacture who makes these ford ones and sell them for less, it would be really useful information to know!

Delphi perhaps?

13 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

I'm looking to change mine NS control arm soon, my OS one was done at Halfords, rather badly has it happens to get it through an MOT but the NS one isn't much better.

Anyone have any preferences on branding? ford ones are about 160 quid or there abouts, but if anyone knows a manufacture who makes these ford ones and sell them for less, it would be really useful information to know!

Delphi perhaps?

I put Unipart arms on my car a month ago - I had some issues with my N/S arm which I thought was alignment issues - I could get one bolt through the rear bush but the second bolt would not catch onto the threads. After much toying and removing/refitting I gently persuaded the bolt a bit further with a rubber mallet which allowed it to catch and do up. It would probably be easier, if you have the patience/time/tools/experience, to remove the entire strut/spring and knuckle assembly as you don't have to fight all the bushes (and risk catching the ball joint boot with the brake shield - the Unipart ones come with a big thick plastic protection cap which is very useful!)

The Unipart ones came with a new Nylock nut for the balljoint, but require you to use your existing bolts. I threadlocked mine back into place for extra peace of mind.

• Like 1

ah, that's interesting, everything ive read said to replace the bolts, thanks for that.

This is actually part of a bigger problem I'm having with the OS control arm, is it possible for Halfords to install a 19mm control arm when a 21mm arm is required, I'm getting  single clunk under heavy braking, only the once, then after several hard accelerations I can do it again, brake, single clunk.  I'm going to get her up on stands this weekend and check it out but the NS one is shot so will need done soon too

Jack the car up, and take the wheel off. I'm sure you will see if they have fitted the wrong one (look for the coloured band).

The Ford service guide for replacing the suspension arm says to replace the nylock nut on the ball joint, but does not mention disposal or replacement of the bolts.

The Haynes manual (at least for the Diesel Mk 2.5) says replace all fasteners.

okie dokie, ill check that out, when you say coloured bands, what are you referring too? on the control arm, ball joint? I didn't recall seeing anything from under the car, I haven't yet checked from the side with the wheel off though.

So if you had to chose between 1 which brand would you go with

• Dephi
  • Lemforder*
  • Fibi bilstein
  • TRW
  • Monroe
  • moog

Delphi are cheap as chips, some folk say they are good, some folk say they even make the ford parts, others say they are utter garbage. 

*Lemforder seem to get the best shout outs but don't make a 21mm complete version,

Fibi seem a bit hit and miss, a lot of folk saying their bushes are terrible

Ive seen some shoddy looking TWR ball joints on youtube,

ive heard some ok stuff about Monroe but not much, some of it is bad

Moog seems to have a good name but I cant seem much on them :/

so all in all, im completely none the wiser! :( 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club