Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ex Motability With Low Mileage. Good Or Bad Idea?

Rockbird

Hi. I'm new to the forum although have owned Fords for years. Currently looking at buying a 2012 1.6 Titanium auto Focus estate for £10,500

Car is Ex motability with 7,111 miles on the clock. Looks near immaculate condition but a bit of web surfing has made me a bit wary of the whole low mileage/short trips thing.

Utterly confused about the whole thing now so would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

think of motability as a lease company, so the car has been well maintained mechanically, serviced on time, had premium brand tyres if any ever needed replacing, if any parts needed replacing e.g brakes all these have been replaced by genuine parts. The only part you have to worry about is the previous owners how have they treated the car but a low mileage automatic I would surmise that to be a parish priest :P that has owned the car just to go to the convent and back. if the car had normal mileage and a manual gearbox i would surmise this to be treated normally but always look at the service history try and get it as detailed as you can if it has had a history of brakes, tyres and its only a few years old I would defiantly say the car had been ragged. People have the idea because its a lease car it doesn't matter how you treat the car.

check the paintwork more than the mechanical side with ex motorbility with that age of car and mileage,

those cars are normally trashed inside and out even with low mileage, you may have a good one though

.is it petrol or diesel?

• Like 1

Thanks. It's petrol. I'll look for any stray rosary beads when I see it again... ;)

do you know anybody who knows about cars to go with you to give it the once over

As long as the service history checks out, and the mileage, clean and tidy inside and the panels are straight and true, I'd have a punt on that. I doubt it has been stressed in any way, but I wouldn't be surprised if the body has taken a knock or two. Also enquire to see if it was modified in any way, driver aids etc and if so, if they were removed properly.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

If it's anything like my neighbours matability car it never gets used.

I think my neighbour has driven his 5-6 times in the last year and that was probably only to/from doctors surgery and to Honda for a service.

• Like 1

If it's anything like my neighbours matability car it never gets used.

I think my neighbour has driven his 5-6 times in the last year and that was probably only to/from doctors surgery and to Honda for a service.

Sure it's a Honda?

:D

post-37110-144135293564_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I doubt anything has needed doing to it except servicing each year, shouldn't have needed brakes or tyres in 7k!

I'd be making sure the drivers seat has had a good clean though myself. :lol:

• Like 4

That's what I thought...assuming it's legit and no reason to suspect not, how much damage can have been done in 7k anyway?

Didn't know it was motability when I saw it and drove it but had a good look at it and it looked in top condition to me. Light grey seat fabric and all clean. Outside was good too.

Don't know anyone with more than a passing knowledge of cars. Would it be worth one of those AA checks?

Thanks, do appreciate all the comments.

Where are you buying it from? If it's a dealership you should be pretty well covered.

Bought my focus from Jennings Ford and full RAC check included plus 2 x years unlimited mileage warranty with breakdown.

• Like 1

hi,i bought an ex mobilty on 27k,(2010)2.0 sport,service history fine,few minor dents(very small)had a new battery and several brake pads,didnt think about that one to check lol,may explain why i get a click from the drivers side brakes when i stop and pull away?????overall im pleased with the car...any advice on my click would be great x,may need steering coloum reset from what ive been told??

It's a dealership but not a Ford dealer.

If it's a big dealership then I wouldn't worry to much, I'm gessing they'll be including some sort of warranty?

If it's a smaller garage and you can afford it then get a AA/RAC check for peice of mind if your not that familiar with mechanical side.

Whats the deets? PM me a reg. I may or may not work for a company mentioned serveral times in this thread :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looking at the date of this thread I'm sure this is all resolved by now.Just in case anyone else is thinking of buying an ex-Motability vehicle and has landed in here for advice, mine would be check the condition of the steering wheel!!

Depending on the previous owner, they may of had a steering aid clamped to the steering wheel which basically leaves a massive indentation when it's removed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the date of this thread I'm sure this is all resolved by now.Just in case anyone else is thinking of buying an ex-Motability vehicle and has landed in here for advice, mine would be check the condition of the steering wheel!!

Depending on the previous owner, they may of had a steering aid clamped to the steering wheel which basically leaves a massive indentation when it's removed.

A good dealership should know it can sometimes be smart repaired if not they can contact Motability for assistance.

But Disability aids are very common, So check the Steering wheel and Column, Pedals and the boot as sometimes hoists are screwed in so plastic panels need replaceing.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club