Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing Camera On Front Not Rear

Smidgey

Hi guys I got a rear reversing camera coming which I am going to fit I was just wondering if anyone had fitted a camera to the front bumper which can be switched on and off either by switch or another way and linked to the same monitor that the rear cameras linked to but I don't want it to be on while driving any ideas or has anyone done it ( OR DO YOU THINK I COUKD LINK BOTH CAMERAS TO THE SAME MONITOR AT WHICH POINT THE FRONT CAMERA WILL STAY ON THE MONITOR (just turn monitor off) AND THEN SOON AS ITS IN REVERSE THE PICTURE CHANGES TO THE REAR ( turn monitor on)

If I get it right, you might be able to do this, just not fully automatically. In my scenario, the monitor is part of the stereo, which supports rear view cam input, and also video input. Most of the chinese "OEM-look-a-like" models do.

You connect your rear view cam as "usual", to CAM IN input and wire it, as mentioned in countless guides all over the internet and on forums here too. Now, you mount and wire the front view cam, get it through the engine bay to interior and connect it to VIDEO IN input. This way, when you select your VIDEO IN as a source on your stereo, you'll see the front of your car and when you put in reverse, you'll see the back. After putting in the neutral, you'll see the front again - it goes back to the last source.

This is probably the easiest way to do something like you want. It's automatic on the rear view part, but you have to switch to front view manually when you want to. And when you won't need to see the front anymore, you can just switch to radio/CD/usb...etc...

Hi guys I got a rear reversing camera coming which I am going to fit I was just wondering if anyone had fitted a camera to the front bumper which can be switched on and off either by switch or another way and linked to the same monitor that the rear cameras linked to but I don't want it to be on while driving any ideas or has anyone done it ( OR DO YOU THINK I COUKD LINK BOTH CAMERAS TO THE SAME MONITOR AT WHICH POINT THE FRONT CAMERA WILL STAY ON THE MONITOR (just turn monitor off) AND THEN SOON AS ITS IN REVERSE THE PICTURE CHANGES TO THE REAR ( turn monitor on)

Hi Chris,

if the monitor is a single channel input then this would be possible via a small RCA 2-way splitter,

ill source the link to where i bought mine on eBay very light weight and discreet I use it to change between PlayStation and TV Tuner in the car.

would require manually switching of video source.

or

if the monitor is capable of accepting two video source inputs then you wouldn't need an RCA splitter just change the channels on the monitor.

getting the monitor to display front view by default then automatically revert to reverse camera view when reverse gear is activated is really only possible if fitting both cameras to to a head unit.

this way the front camera can be installed as an AUX input

and the rear camera installed as just that; a rear camera.

this method will allow you to listen to a cd or radio etc. all usual functions while displaying the front auxiliary view.

then reverting to rear camera when reverse gear is activated.

the front camera sensor feed must be connected to an ignition live feed in the engine bay fuse box via a mini piggy back fuse adapter and 10amp fuse to allow constant power while engine is live.

an alternative option would be to install a dual camera DVR dash cam system such as the kit ive installed in the guide here:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/65147-guide-fitting-dual-camera-dvr-system-focus-mk2-mk25/?p=438442

not only would it display but it also records.

• Like 1

Hi Lenny it's a single fees from monitor it only has 1 video cable and 1 power cable exiting from rear of monitor so if you could find the link to the manual splitter that would be great as I only thought of putting and a male to double female splitter that's has not option to change anything but I wouldn't know if that would work or not was just going to try and hope for best really

• Like 1

Hi Lenny it's a single fees from monitor it only has 1 video cable and 1 power cable exiting from rear of monitor so if you could find the link to the manual splitter that would be great as I only thought of putting and a male to double female splitter that's has not option to change anything but I wouldn't know if that would work or not was just going to try and hope for best really

here it is mate,

will work 100% fits in palm of hand requires no power to operate simply plug in RCA feeds.

link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351257658870

IMG_20150423_101121_zpshcbubaxr.jpg

IMG_20150423_101133_zps70alknrg.jpg

as saw in my build thread here aswell as diagram of use:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/41443-taking-oval-to-blue-horizon-lennys-build-thread-2010-2015/?p=459040

You can also split the reverse signal in to two inputs in the event you ever fit a compatable headunit it will mirror image on both screens.

Just tried the link mate don't work but I've seen 1 like it where have you put that as I'm planning to put my screen on the windscreen best to rear view mirror so I'll have to ran a cable down to drivers side so I can be put some where there

• Like 1

eBay item number 320882445578 will this not work if I just put the male end into the monitor cables then plug each camera into this so that the front camera will stay on it and then will switch to reverse camera when reverse gear is selected

• Like 1

I know the cameras are mean to for the rear as the cables are only short as the go into boot lid so do you think any camera will be ok for front bumper and there will have to be a connection between the rca cable sin the engine bay do you think this this will be ok if I rap it in electrical tape I will also have to extend the power cable to the battery and the Negative to earth bolt

• Like 1

eBay item number 320882445578 will this not work if I just put the male end into the monitor cables then plug each camera into this so that the front camera will stay on it and then will switch to reverse camera when reverse gear is selected

Unfortunately these are mainly used for bridging audio connections in amplifiers where more than one amplifier is being used,

The adaptor allows to daisy chain.

If you were to plug in two video sources they would conflict agents each other to be dominant signal.

You need to have a switch to say who goes and who stays if you get me.

Also there are two types of video signal format

PAL

And

NTSC

I'm not sure which one your existing camera is,

Or

If the screen displays both formats

But I would advise in order to avoid potential error best to purchase a camera which operates on the same format as the one you already have fitted.

I know the cameras are meant to be for the rear as the cables are only short as the go into boot lid so do you think any camera will be ok for front bumper and there will have to be a connection between the rca cable sin the engine bay do you think this this will be ok if I rap it in electrical tape I will also have to extend the power cable to the battery and the Negative to earth bolt

No problem you can purchase female to male RCA extension cables to any length I recon 3 metres would be sufficient.

Also crimp spade connectors and some 10amp cable with ring terminal and a piggy back fuse adaptor in to the engine bay fuse box.

Only cable you need to bring through the firewall is the single RCA.

I have no idea what format the camera or screen is I didn't realise there was different 1 and I only bought them 2 days ago so waiting for delivery but coming from China so will be a while

• Like 1

I have just read my monitor has 2 video in put for to camera other to DVD it says so do you think will work with 2 cameras so I must have to push button to change to which 2 I want

• Like 1

I have just read my monitor has 2 video in put for to camera other to DVD it says so do you think will work with 2 cameras so I must have to push button to change to which 2 I want

it could be a case that one is an input

and the other is a mirror output

Check manual of the existing camera to see if it's Pal or NTSC

Also check the screen it may accept both format

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club