Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Window Washer Pump Electrics.

mr Green

Hi,

I've a non working washer pump on my 2010 Focus Zetec and was after a bit of advice regarding the power feed to the pump.

From reading this forum, I think that I'm correct in stating that there is a 2 pin connector on the pump, but I was wondering how the power is switched to allow both the front and rear washer to be operated.

Are there 2 separate 12v feeds to the pump? (One for the front washer and one for the rear) with the pump casing being grounded?

Both front and rear washers are totally dead (pump not operating at all) and I was going to check out the electrics shortly so any advice gratefully accepted.

either

a. there are 2 seperate pumps for front / rear wash

or

b. there is a single dual output pump for both front / rear wash , with 2 seperate control wires from the stalk lever.

if b. then i would expect a 3 wire plug to the pump , 2 12v feeds + 1 negative earth.

unlikely to be a chassis earth direct to pump as both pump and water container will both be constructed from plastic.

The Haynes manual suggests that only the estate has a tailgate washer but we all know that's total c**p don't we, so just how much reliance can be placed on it's other information is open to question. However, for the tailgate washer it says a dual-output pump is used and the circuit schematic shows only a two-wire connector, yellow/black and white/black. It shows it being driven directly from the GEM.

I haven't ever looked at the Focus pump but some years back I had another make, might have been an old Astra, where the pump had two outputs and the active one was selected by the direction of rotation of the pump, i.e. to wash the rear the polarity of the power to the pump was reversed. I don't know if the Focus one works this way.

1 pump, 2 wires, and both wires are 12v and earth , they swap round making pump turn 2 directions , so you get front and rear washers, theres a valve inside pump to facilitate this. Normaly the the filter in bottle blocks up and pump then fails

• 5 years later...
On 10/5/2015 at 6:42 PM, iantt said:

1 pump, 2 wires, and both wires are 12v and earth , they swap round making pump turn 2 directions , so you get front and rear washers, theres a valve inside pump to facilitate this. Normaly the the filter in bottle blocks up and pump then fails

A few years late here but maybe you can help, my mk1 focus is spraying both front and rear windows when I try to wash the front only. When I use the rear that works just fine on its own, is the valve in the motor bad? Or what??? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club