Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf

Matt 23

The engine malfunction light has been constantly showing on my 2009 focus Econetic for last two months. Had it since new and now 83'000 miles. Was doing 80miles a day to work and back until last year, now much shorter. I was told by local mechanic that it may be the DPF filter and to try additive and 30 minutes on motorway at high revs. I tried this and nothing happened. Decided to take the car to ford dealer at Inverurie today, got call back saying they would advise a regeneration programme which will cost me approx £400. £250 for additive and £150 to perform. Told me that there may also be other faults that they can't see until this one is cleared, although the regeneration may not do the trick.

Anyone know whether this is the usual cost for this type of work? And

whether this is true about not being able to see other fault codes until the DPF one is fixed?

Any advice before I go back to garage tomorrow would be appreciated...

May be wrong but I didn't think you had an additive tank on your model tbh the eloys fluid was phased out as of 2009 and replaced with a ceramic dpf which is maintenance free so I would put your reg into etis and check the service schedule for your car and see wet her or not eloys refill is required at 37500m if not then your dealer is attempting to defraud you for charging for something that are are not actually doing

Eolys176 refill required according to etis, thanks for pointer to this website. Will see what transpires tomorrow!!

Did you get this sorted? dont forget they have to do the reset process also.

Warning light now out after DPF fluid change and regen. £280 for additive and £100 for performing regen. Total of £450

when including VAT. I'm sure it will be worth it for another 80000 miles of trouble free motoring!

However still not sure why I couldn't do this myself, maybe it's was the quality of regen fluids I was trying (tried two different types ranging from £15 to nearly £30) the high Rev motorway method, or both that was wrong?

Unfortunately, you will be lucky to see another 80k,these dog's normally need replying around every 60k, if you just did a regeneration and top up you will get some more out of it but I would expect the next dpf job is a replacement.

As for the regeneration it depends how hard and for how long you did the regeneration on the motorway, what the temperature was inside and outside. If the engine is told to regenerate through a pc it optimises the conditions until it's forced to do it right (hence forced regeneration), however you were attempting to being on a regeneration through standard driving, which is the passive regeneration cycle.

Fluids, performance and quality thereof may have played a part, though I wonder if it's more a case of no matter how you tried, you just couldn't reach the right passive conditions to do an equal job to the forced regeneration

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

After thought but if you had an elm327 and the forscan software you can do a forced regeneration and save yourself the cost of a garage doing it.

• Like 4

I thought that was how it was done initially...

I thought that was how it was done initially...

I've never been able to actually try it though tbh as it won't let you unless it's put the eml on with the dpf code first.

Really? I thought you could force it whenever? I'm sure folks before you have done this without the eml on?

• Like 3

Really? I tried it again half hour ago just to see if I'd missed something but it won't allow me to do it.. I'm seriously wondering if my dpf has already been deleted by the previous owner I really need to pull the dpf and get a cam in there to see if it's there or not lol

Yes a forced regen can be done without an eml light showing etc. I successfully did one on my current 1.6 tdci mk3 focus and to a previous 2.2 tdci mondeo txs.

• Like 2

Using forscan and an EML327 reader and laptop (even works on windows xp)

Hmm I need to find out why I can't force regen mine then..

Apart from physically looking inside the dpf is there any other way of finding out if the previous owner had a dpf delete done?

Disconnect a dpf sensor and see if I panics?

• Like 2

Will have a look when I'm back from work at the weekend but I think the cdpf equipped focus has no sensors? Lenny did his and was certain there's no sensors for the dpf on his and mine is exactly the same.

A aah I didn't see the year of your focus, if you don't indeed have the cdpf then you can try a forced regeneration through forscan and if it throws errors, that might help?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club