Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interior Lighting

Cookey09

Alright everyone, so, after some research looking into some sort of ambient lighting kit, I came across the Osram ambient lighting kit for £99.00, thought this was a bit steep for what it actually is! If it was cheaper fair enough... found myself inspired by this which made me go for a cheaper, but just as good alternative... bought a Dual Port USB 'charger' for the 12v socket, and bought two USB powered Self-Adhesive LED Strip lights... the length of the USB cable is pretty lengthy, long enough to go down the side of the centre console and the light strip to stick to the underside of the seats. I dont think they are switched controlled, but, for whenever I have any backseat passengers, i'll just plug in the 2 USB's... and un-plug once they are out. ;) I havent installed them yet, but i've plugged them in using my setup and they are really good! Just thought i'd drop it in, incase anyone was interested in doing a similar thing.

post-62772-144623456512_thumb.jpg

post-62772-144623457877_thumb.jpg

post-62772-144623458951_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It is fairly handy having some extra light in the back but more important foot well illumination looks cool :D

Can't fault your method for ease of install but if you ever fancy fitting a more permanent system i.e. hard wiring it, it's a fairly easy job and gives great, neat results.

post-60600-0-94684200-1446237479_thumb.j

• Like 1

I might do mate, just fancied something in the meantime, if I ever do I'll let you know! I'd do it now, but I've got plans on the little things I want doing haha!😋 cheers though buddy.

It is fairly handy having some extra light in the back but more important foot well illumination looks cool :D

Can't fault your method for ease of install but if you ever fancy fitting a more permanent system i.e. hard wiring it, it's a fairly easy job and gives great, neat results.

attachicon.gifSAM_1904.JPG

That looks brilliant! I would be very interested in fitting a permanent system, do you know of any guides for doing it?
  • Like 1

That looks brilliant! I would be very interested in fitting a permanent system, do you know of any guides for doing it?

I'm not aware of any guides but it's a fairly simple process. In fact the most time is spent running the wires under the carpet. In a nutshell:

1. Find a 12V feed to use as your power source. Best switched live is probably the cigarette lighter, in my case I took power of the LED scuff plate

2. Decide on a neutral/earth point to use, this should be any unpainted metal but it's worth checking with a multimeter

3. Run wires from these points to each LED strip, going under the carpet/trim, in my case I had one in each footwell

4. Install the LED strips, I used double sided tape for the front and tucked them under the elastic already in place under the front seats

5. Crimp the wires and LED strips together

6. Reassemble the trim and you're done

Hopefully that helps

• Like 1

In my car I have two aluminium mounted led strips under both seats & one in each front footwell. All are linked to the interior light. So when the interior light is on, the front and rear footwell lights come on

• 5 months later...
On 31 October 2015 at 9:52 PM, GingerFlame said:

In my car I have two aluminium mounted led strips under both seats & one in each front footwell. All are linked to the interior light. So when the interior light is on, the front and rear footwell lights come on

A little bit late.... So are you saying when you click the switch for the map lights? The under seat lights come on? 

Looks good Cookey.

Fitted some in  mine today also, I'll get some shots up when I get chance. I wanted to wire them to when the auto lights come on they come on. But the fuse was in the engine compartment. So I wired to the ignition fuse. But I also fitted a cheap in-line remote, so I could switch them off during the day. 

• Like 1

I've removed mine since the original post. And ah right I get you, sounds interesting. You got a link for your lights? I'm interested in some.. again... But struggling to find some that can be hardwired. Because, correct me if I'm wrong but I'd need an earth and just the one live cable... 

Yeah, Just above the fuse box in the glove compartment is bare metal with bolts on it. That's where I connected the negative. Took more time to hide all the wires. Installed 4 in total. Front footwells and under seats for rear passengers. Wasn't 100% with them being full on that's why I brought the remote. Worked a charm, less than £2 I can dim the lights as much as I want can even set them to pulse/flash or random.

remote.jpg

led.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers for that mate. I'll have a look at the links and that tomorrow. RE:the metal bolts etc.. Near the fuse box, yeah that's where I earthed my dashcam

Thanks again. 

Looks spot on! 

7 hours ago, cyberbob69 said:

Yeah, Just above the fuse box in the glove compartment is bare metal with bolts on it. That's where I connected the negative. Took more time to hide all the wires. Installed 4 in total. Front footwells and under seats for rear passengers. Wasn't 100% with them being full on that's why I brought the remote. Worked a charm, less than £2 I can dim the lights as much as I want can even set them to pulse/flash or random.

remote.jpg

led.jpg

How'd you manage to run the lights to under the rear seats, the wires don't really look long enough mate?

Just brought some extra wire, The wire was probably the most expensive bit, cost about £4. The double sided tape isn't the best to attach to fabric. Fit's good to the plastic at the front just not on the seats. I'll get some shots done this week. Thinking about getting some more lights to fit 1 just above the glove box.

That is exactly the setup I used in terms of the electronics. As for attaching the led strips the passenger side is the problem. There aren't enough surfaces allow you to attach them so they are really strong with just tape, also in my experience passengers tended to knock them about a bit. My solution was to use a piece of low profile plastic trunking, drill a couple of holes through it and through the piece of rigid carpet which holds the sync unit and bolt the two together. Then mount the led inside the trunking, obviously the lid isn't needed.

PS. don't forget to cut out holes for the Ford footwell light and to allow you reinstall the pins which hold the rigid carpet in place. It sounds a lot of work but it is honestly worth doing.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club