Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Finally! Sky Fibre Ordered...

jmurray01

I've been wanting to upgrade to Fibre Optic internet for a few months now but was not prepared to pay a £30 "activation fee" for it, which is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

Having practically argued with a CSA over the phone about this to no avail, I resigned myself to either leave it or wait for the fee to be removed.

Well, tonight I went onto the Sky website and hey-presto, unlimited fibre for £10p/m (first 12 months) and FREE ACTIVATION.

Needless to say it has now been ordered. The best bit? My monthly bill has only gone up by £3.

I know I'll hardly ever really take advantage of the faster speeds, but like a water-proof watch it will be nice to have "just in case".

Has anybody else upgraded to fibre optic internet and what are your thoughts?

Wouldn't be without it. Had fibre since it came to our area.

We were only getting about 5mb before and are now on around 20mb so big boost. Better pings are noticeable if you have a fast PC or phone too.

On Sky fibre too.

Very fast and stable but bear in mind that it's basically BT with a Sky router added instead so if it goes wobbly then it's BT's fault not Sky.

Not entirely true. It is only BT between your socket and the exchange.

Your ISP handles all the interconnects, DNS, gateways, etc.

We've been with just about all the ISPs, sky was definitely one of the better ones . With plusnet now and they are easily my favourite.

• Like 1

Well I've just checked and apparently my area is accepting orders. SO I SHALL be sorting that out when I get paid on Tuesday :-). Boggo internet is naff, especially when the old man has fibre at his house and I've experienced the force

We recently had BT superfast fibre installed & now have circa 72mbps - compared to barely 3mbps before, so very happy :)

• Like 2

Ordered BT infinity today, getting it 17th of November. :D :D :D :D Hopefully it lives up to expectations( surely a curse saying that and BT in the same sentence) Going from a maximum of 17mb/s to a MINIMUM GUARANTEED of 64mb/s. All for the measly sum of £52 squids a month. As long as the football, cars & bikes work without buffering I'm happy

Been with Virgin for a while now, currently on 150mbps (though speedtest shows 162mb) and will be getting bumped up to 200mbps in a few weeks.

Never had any problems with it.

• Like 1

Might have to give Sky customer services a call today (and be the kind of customer I hate at work!) as I've received an email from them saying that my fibre is ready to go live on the 9th and that no engineer will need to visit or any additional equipment installed...

I really don't understand how a standard ADSL router with standard wiring can provide fibre optic broadband speeds...

B.T. upgraded our '' Home Hub 4 '' to a '' Home Hub 5 '' when they upgraded us to fibre optic, as the 4 version wasn't compatible with fibre optic speeds.

• Like 1

Might have to give Sky customer services a call today (and be the kind of customer I hate at work!) as I've received an email from them saying that my fibre is ready to go live on the 9th and that no engineer will need to visit or any additional equipment installed...

I really don't understand how a standard ADSL router with standard wiring can provide fibre optic broadband speeds...

The latest sky hub has built in vdsl (fibre) so needs no additional modem and the filters all support vdsl now too.

Openreach are discontinuing engineer visits in the home. They only have to visit your local cabinet and move your copper pair over to the fibre dslam.

I spent far too much time reading all about it so feel free to ask any questions. Lol.

Mark, I'm getting Bt Fibre after being on normal Bt, did you get letters and emails off them saying your line is being taken over?

Matt

I was with B.T. anyway - they just installed the Fibre Optics in our area & I knew they were coming at some point '' this summer '' so once the new cabinet was installed up the road I just checked on the B.T. website every so often until it said the service was live & then phoned them up to make an appointment & 2 weeks later all was done :)

• Like 1

Once the appointment / order was made B.T. did confirm & update via e - mail

ON Virgin media 150mb/s usually get around 160-170 MB/s handy since I download a LOT could not live without it.

ON Virgin media 150mb/s usually get around 160-170 MB/s handy since I download a LOT could not live without it.

I think you mean 16-17 MB/s lol...

Only thing didn't like about VM is their (not so) fair usage policy and traffic shaping at peak times.

There is no cable network where I live now anyway so couldn't have them even if we wanted to...

Unlimited here too - it's the only way . . :)

• Like 1

Especially with sky doing so many on-demand films.

Without unlimited you'd burn through data at a fearsome rate.

No fair usage policy or data throttling either :)

Well done to you all, I can't get fibre even though apparently according to the Openreach engineer there is a fibre cabinet right next to the cabinet I am on, go figure.

So Sky unlimited broadband it is, free for a year with £100 M+S voucher which bought me some new clothes.

I can hardly handle the speeds i am getting it's just mind blowing lol

4813465797.png

Slower than 75% of the UK how nice, how lucky am I?

/end sarcasm mode

• Like 1

Matt

I was with B.T. anyway - they just installed the Fibre Optics in our area & I knew they were coming at some point '' this summer '' so once the new cabinet was installed up the road I just checked on the B.T. website every so often until it said the service was live & then phoned them up to make an appointment & 2 weeks later all was done :)

Yes that's what I mean, I'm with BT anyway, I checked to when they were upgrading around us, and I ordered it all through my BT page, and ever since I've had the letters and emails saying my line is being taken over by someone else, but I'm with BT already and I'm only upgrading to BT fibre, have you had this. I find it rather I don't know, stupid on BT's behalf. Surely they must know that they are just upgrading my line/account. So why are they sending letters and emails

I think you mean 16-17 MB/s lol...

Only thing didn't like about VM is their (not so) fair usage policy and traffic shaping at peak times.

There is no cable network where I live now anyway so couldn't have them even if we wanted to...

I was basing my results in megabits but yes approx 16 megabytes I said it like that due to advertisements more people tend to go off megabits :)

No Matt . . . B.T. didn't state that the line was being taken over by another company - that seems odd ?

I was with B.T. & still am & all remains the same with the online account, direct debit etc

B.T. upgraded our '' Home Hub 4 '' to a '' Home Hub 5 '' when they upgraded us to fibre optic, as the 4 version wasn't compatible with fibre optic speeds.

That's what I was expecting. Ah well, we'll see what happens tomorrow (supposedly the activation day).

The latest sky hub has built in vdsl (fibre) so needs no additional modem and the filters all support vdsl now too.

Openreach are discontinuing engineer visits in the home. They only have to visit your local cabinet and move your copper pair over to the fibre dslam.

I spent far too much time reading all about it so feel free to ask any questions. Lol.

Well in 10 seconds of reading that my DAYS of wondering are over! Who knew it could be that simple. Thanks for enlightening me Alex, much appreciated.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club