Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Blue 'full Beam' Light On Dashboard Of 04 Plate Fiesta

lolbeck

Hello.

My car failed it's MOT as a result and I am looking for some advice please.

Ever the optimist I hope it is just the bulb but, having removed the instrument panel (as per the youtube video - my dash is the rev counter clock one that he removes not the one at the end) I can't see how to get at the bulbs. They sit behind the rev counter in cream plastic domes. Does the cream plastic bit come off????

And what else might it be if not the bulb???????

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ArDRu9szc

Thanks in advance for any advice - especially if given in the way a six year old would understand!!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ArDRu9szc

I thought they were LED on the instrument cluster...

It looks as if the dashboard illumination ones are filament and the warning lights LED - the illumination ones are easy to see and get at - it's the warning ones I can't work out.

I'm sure these have a test/diagnostics mode that you can put them into and one of the modes would illuminate all of the dashboard lights

If you can get into this then you can tell if the bulbs faulty or if something else is at fault

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ie_OCgDOyw

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I have done the test and the light didn't light so still thinking bulb. Just need to work out how to get to it......

• Like 1

Honestly it might be worth ringing round scrap yards for a new instrument cluster.

Honestly it might be worth ringing round scrap yards for a new instrument cluster.

New cluster, New ecu, New locks, New key, New mileage.

Yeah I don't that he'll be'lol be doing that.

Get it sent to a cluster repair spot

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Not necessarily, whip out the dead parts for the good parts on it; if it's only the lighting it should just be a pull apart and swap rather than having to go find a bunch of parts bit by bit. Saves on the effort of getting parts bit by bit or paying someone else to do it.

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I have done the test and the light didn't light so still thinking bulb. Just need to work out how to get to it......

The lamp test doesn't test the the following lamps on the instrument cluster;

High Beam

Direction Indicators

Front Fog

Rear Fog

Looks like it doesn't check Airbag, Low oil Pressure or Door Open either.

As a suggestion bearing in mind the reliability of LED's it would be worth checking that the High Beam signal to the cluster works.

Green/White wire (which is pin 8) on the cluster connector should have 12v on it when High beam is on.

• Like 1

New cluster, New ecu, New locks, New key, New mileage.

Yeah I don't that he'll be'lol be doing that.

Get it sent to a cluster repair spot

So I can't just swap? That was my fallback..... :/

Thanks for the advice about checking the electrics........I'll get that done.

I did call in at a Ford dealership to pick brains today but was spoken to as if I was a dipstick because unfortunately I am a not so young woman.........

The ECU, instrument panel, Key, transponder ring all need to stay as a unit. Otherwise the immobilisor will go in a sulk

As said above, the fail rate of LEDs is extremely low. I'd check other aspects before blaming the instrument panel

Thanks - biting the bullet and going to the garage today but at least I know a bit more about it all now.

This is the procedure for the instrument cluster replacement.

I think a dealership would only fit a new cluster and not a 2nd hand part.

Configuration of Instrument Cluster
The instrument cluster is a programmable module, which must be configured by selecting the Programmable Module Installation Routine on WDS.
Note:
When the new instrument cluster has been configured with the odometer value, its configuration cannot be decreased or matched. A new configuration will result in an increase in the value by a minimum of two units.
Note:
The odometer value must be recorded from the original instrument cluster before removal.
If the odometer value cannot be obtained from the instrument cluster (display failure) the customer should supply the approximate value.
The following features will need to be configured when a new instrument cluster is installed:
l Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)
l Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) warning indicator
l Anti-Lock Control - Stability Assist indicator
l Odometer display
l Automated Gearshift System indicator
l Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) indicator
Good luck
  • Like 1

The dash test should illuminate all lights on the dashboard, if you are getting multiples which are failing, I suggest your cluster is at fault, in which case, I would probably send it off for repair. around £99 for a fix, which is cheaper and easier than faffing around otherwise.

In the meantime, I would check the wiring, ensure the voltage is there for all wires / pins, and validate no other wiring issues in the car.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the late update and thanks for your help.

Turned out to be the led bulb which was part of the circuit board. Initial choices were new board or send old board away for repair (quoted £150!!!!!)

Lovely mechanic fitted new light fitting to dash from headlight - having checked it was legal - and I got that and new brake pipes for £180. Still a lot but could have been worse.

Thanks again - great site and forum.

Have you a picture of the new light? Did you try shopping around for instrument panel repairers?

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club