Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor Fuel Economy On A 125 Ecoboost?

Ecoboost

Hi,

Newby here, I recently bought a 2yr old focus ecoboost 125 and am made up with it apart from one thing and unfortunately its quite a big thing.

Is it normal to get 35mpg round town when you are driving like your granny to get the most you can?

I went to the What Car website to read up on this model before buying and al though it didn't give urban mpg, it gave the average mpg as 60.1, so I was gobsmacked to see how much I am using now that I am driving it.

Could it be that something needs adjusting? I am beginning to think I know why the one previous owner only did 7,500 miles in two years. :unsure:

Many thanks for any advice.

At this time of year for short journeys around town that is probably about right.

• Like 2

You'll never achieve the '' official '' m.p.g. figures as stated by Fraud, or printed in magazines

• Like 1

Well you could if you re-created the test setup. :P

Urban figures will be done with a fully warmed up engine on a rolling road with no accessories on, by a technician trained to get the best MPG from the "driving" scenario for said test.

• Like 1

Mines worse mpg at this time of year, dont do much urban driving but would probably be around the 35/40mpg, most of mine is 9 mile trips at around 50/55mph, in summer was gettting 60-64mpg, now down to 52-54 winter, so winter makes a big difference to mine.

You'll never get what they claim the urban figure is more likely to be the actual figure

After 14 months my combined average fuel consumption is 17 KM per Liter which is 48 MPG which in my opinion is not bad.

My previous Focus MK2 with the 100 HP 1.6 Duratec engine did only 31 MPG.

Thankyou for the answers everyone.

I think part of the problem is that I have driven a diesel focus for the last 14 yrs that I bought new and so I am use to tight wad driving.

Looks like I bought the ecoboost 125 without doing enough research, luckily enough I only do about 20 miles a day and I have enough left in the kitty at the end of the month to more than take care of it, so its not the end of the world. But a lesson well learned.

I am planning to change it in two years time so I may go back to diesel then.

Got to say though it is a gorgeous drive and a pleasure to be out in, often so silent that I cant tell if the auto start has kicked in. :)

Diesel won't make much difference if your only doing that kind of mileage.

You'll never achieve what Ford say, as to get their MPG figures, they basically turn it into a race car(strip unnecessary weight, proper fuel etc) they also rent a track to test them on. Mine is getting 31.8 and I think O should be getting about 45-47

My diesel economy is pretty poor at this time of year, just hovering over 50mpg, all motorway and town, roughly 300 miles a week. I honestly believe the Focus is too heavy for these small engines though. All my previous diesel hatches/estates have been 1.9/2.0 and averaged better mpg than the supposedly efficient 1.6 even in winter! More expensive/common faults with modern diesels as well though so you're best with petrols unless doing mega mileage now.

I also averaged 35mpg in a 1.8 petrol 306 in winter btw... I'm not sure how they're managing to make engines less efficient by reducing the capacity, sticking on modern turbos and injectors, sophisticated ECUs etc... On paper that just isn't right lol.

I have the Ford Focus 2012 1.0 Ecoboost 100HP, and I have really bad fuel economy. I've had the car for around 3 months now and I have never went over 34mpg, so it is costly for a 3 banger, if you are using the higher octane fuel too

I have the Ford Focus 2012 1.0 Ecoboost 100HP, and I have really bad fuel economy. I've had the car for around 3 months now and I have never went over 34mpg, so it is costly for a 3 banger, if you are using the higher octane fuel too

34!!!! Is that town driving only? Id be gutted if I was getting that

That's grim . . . not very eco then :)

Sounds like with the ecoboost name, you are using no eco and all the boost.

Try having the 1.6 ecoboost... my mpg is nose diving with all the cold weather and town driving.

Its all about the boost though.

• Like 1

Sounds like with the ecoboost name, you are using no eco and all the boost.

Try having the 1.6 ecoboost... my mpg is nose diving with all the cold weather and town driving.

Its all about the boost though.

I can trump you, try having the 2.0 ecoBOOST :P

• Like 5

As long as I get 50+ on my drive cycle to work and back im happy, better than my last car that averaged 28mpg , and was low as 14 mpg when driven harder to work.

Surely the average mpg posted by whatcar.com at 60.1 shouldn't extrapolate down to low 30's urban, even in cold weather.

I wonder if Ford mechanics ever watch these threads. It would be interesting to hear what their take is on these figures.

I have just been on whatcar.com's true mpg calculator. (Pity I didn't see this a couple of weeks ago.)

For the focus zetec ecoboost 125 doing my mileage in a mixed but predominantly urban journey, year round, it is listing mpg as 32.1

An amazing difference from the average they gave of 60.1 in their review of the car.

It looks like I am lucky to be getting my 35mpg.

My 125 is showing 49.2 on the computer. Had it at 50.2 in the summer. Drive to work 10 miles each way mainly 30 and 40 limits, a mile and a half or so in the 60. Don't rev it hard but not excessively gentle, make use of that big band of torque. Pulls OK in 5th at 30 MPH, 6th at 40 if level.

Got to say my old MK2 ST got better fuel economy in the winter then summer as engine dosnt have to work as hard due to the colder denser air then in summer. The 1.5t is run on Tesco 99Ron and am getting 32mpg around town with some spirited driving. Although it has only done 300miles so fingers crossed it might go up.

As much as the 1.0 litre 3 cylinder is a cracking little engine, the mk3 and above focus is a large heavy car for its class. Seems to be better suited to the fiesta lighter cars.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club