Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AC is noisy ???

Wiig

Hi again , sorry for all the questions .

My AC is noisy .

It is like a bad bearing in the ac compressor , but it is not , i have replaced the unit for a year ago.

And it is from the AC the noise comes , when i turn the AC off , the noise is gone .

What can be the problem ????

Stein

Noises are a known problem of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 airconditioning system. There are basically 2 known causes that cause the airconditioning system to make noise.

1. Not enough refrigerant inside the airconditioning system. This causes the refrigerant to evaporate prematurely inside the airconditioning lines instead of the evaporator. the Focus MK2/MK2.5 has a relative small amount of refrigerant inside the system (for environmental reasons). Even a small loss of refrigerant (which is quite normal) can make the airconditioning system make noisy.

2. Early Focus MK2 versions did have the filter/dryer of the airconditioning system mounted directly onto the chassis. Vibrations inside the filter/dryer are passed through to the chassis and the bodywork. On later Focus MK2 versions and MK2.5 versions this has been modified by using rubber bushes to mount the filter/dryer onto the chassis.

1: If the system is okay , what can i do to the noise around loss of refrigiant ??????

2: where is the filter/dryer mounted , so i can replace the nuts or put rubber under the nuts ???

Perhaps a drawing ?

Thx for the help.

Wilco, do you know what the temp of the AC should be at the vents on these?  I know the Mk2.5 AC isn't great, and I thought about having it regassed last year, but it is still fairly cold , just seems to take forever for the cabin to start feeling cooler (about 20 minutes today in 22c heat) and as soon as sun hits the screen that takes over the cold!  I do have a heat reflective screen as well.

This is going to sound daft but the AC seems cold enough when it's cool out, and even causes condensation on the outside of the screen when the sun goes down, it's just no good in the heat/sun lol!!  Not sure if that would be solved with a regas or if it just a poor system, don't want to spend on a regas and find it's no better.  So if I can test the vent temp that should give an idea of how good it still is right?

One way to check temps is to take temp reading from in front of car(outside temp) then switch air-conditioning on , on fresh air through vents on high speed fan. Engine at about 2000rpm. Take reading in vents after a minute or so. It's temp drop your interested in and not actual temp.( Outside temp -inside temp)

• Like 1

on max Cold usually 5 degrees

Anyone who can tell me where it is located ??????

Stein

if you mean the filter dryer open bonnet look down by the driver headlight its a cylindrical large cannister in front of the wheel well

• Like 1

Thx artscot79 .

There are no rubber bushes on mine.

So i will find some flat rubber bushes i can come on each side of the brackets , there are 3 mounts , as i can see.

Stein

Another newbie here, back in a Ford after 17 years :blink:. Apologies for the slight thread hijack - my aircon has the opposite issue - it doesn't make any noise at all. 2010 Focus 1.8 Zetec. what I'd like to know is whether there should be a click from the compressor when I turn the AC on? I also run a 2005 X Type V6, and there's a definite click-thump when I turn on the AC in it.

Thanks in advance & sorry again for jumping in.

the focus and most newer cars use vss pumps instead of the ok ones the difference being on a vss pump it runs all the time and simply varies the amount of gas needed depending on the conditions the old pumps used relays to constantly cut on and off which wasn't very fuel efficient and was noisy so no you shouldn't hear it click on and off unless its low on refridgerant

• Like 1

That's great, thanks for the info, artscot:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club