Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Passed a red for turn right

Ken.K

As you say, many thousands of NIP are sent weekly so paying for recorded delivery would bump up costs, last thing anyone wants is raised fixed penalties to cover the costs.

Proving non receipt of a NIP in court is tricky however not impossible.

Usual reasons for non receipt is not updating your address on a V5C or licence ( itself being an offence).

Tbh, the hassle of arguing in court and the risk of being awarded the maximum fine usually results in a defendant biting the bullet.

Of course if you feel you are in the right and have court presentable evidence then 'nothing ventured'.

We all make mistakes on the road (me included) and accepting blame with humility where justified is the decent thing to do.

I was recently pinged by a 'speed on red' camera and took my licks like everyone else.

My problem is that I often infringe road speeds (with appropriate authorisation) and sometimes forget myself, although this is not an excuse for my own complacency.

Sent from my SM-G930F

10 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

As you say, many thousands of NIP are sent weekly so paying for recorded delivery would bump up costs, last thing anyone wants is raised fixed penalties to cover the costs.

Proving non receipt of a NIP in court is tricky however not impossible.

Usual reasons for non receipt is not updating your address on a V5C or licence ( itself being an offence).

Tbh, the hassle of arguing in court and the risk of being awarded the maximum fine usually results in a defendant biting the bullet.

Of course if you feel you are in the right and have court presentable evidence then 'nothing ventured'.

We all make mistakes on the road (me included) and accepting blame with humility where justified is the decent thing to do.

I was recently pinged by a 'speed on red' camera and took my licks like everyone else.

My problem is that I often infringe road speeds (with appropriate authorisation) and sometimes forget myself, although this is not an excuse for my own complacency.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is "speed on red"?

Sorry, meant to say, they are actually called speed on green cameras, my error [emoji41]

It's red light cameras that have been upgraded so that if the camera detects that you were going too fast to stop if the light had changed to red.

You can tell them apart from standard red light cameras by the 3 parallel lines either side of the road after the camera (and 3 reflective studs inline if more than one lane).

Tricky little beggars.

http://www.drivesafe.org.uk/Safety-Cameras/safety-cameras/Pages/Red-Light-Speed-on-Green-Camera.aspx

Sent from my SM-G930F

40 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Sorry, meant to say, they are actually called speed on green cameras, my error emoji41.png

It's red light cameras that have been upgraded so that if the camera detects that you were going too fast to stop if the light had changed to red.

You can tell them apart from standard red light cameras by the 3 parallel lines either side of the road after the camera (and 3 reflective studs inline if more than one lane).

Tricky little beggars.

http://www.drivesafe.org.uk/Safety-Cameras/safety-cameras/Pages/Red-Light-Speed-on-Green-Camera.aspx

Sent from my SM-G930F

So basically you could be within the speed limit, and the light stayed green whilst you passed, but if you were going too fast to stop had it suddenly gone red, you would get a fine?  How is that enforceable?

As long as it was green and you were within the speed limit, then it is legal.  I understand the point, but don't see how you can be fined for something that could have happened (turning red), but did not.

Maybe I didn't explain clearly

(On rereading my post I don't think I did 🤔)

A speed on green camera does 2 things-

1/ Standard red light infringement prosecution.

The camera will ping drivers going through red (or late amber) lights.

2/ Speed enforcement in line with the functions of a Gatso type system.

Basically the camera is set up to ping drivers that speed up to nip through on amber lights.

Upshot is that if you go through a red light because you're going too fast yhen you will get a double hit (points/fine for red light and speeding).

Something to bear in mind is that red light cameras are exempt from being painted bright yellow so can be tricky to see especially against an obscuring background.

If you see the 3 lines on the road edges (and the cats eyes at night on roads with 2 or more lanes) then they are speed on green cameras.

If there is just the induction loop on the road (shiny black tarred rectangle) then it's a standard red light camera.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Maybe I didn't explain clearly

(On rereading my post I don't think I did 🤔)

A speed on green camera does 2 things-

1/ Standard red light infringement prosecution.

The camera will ping drivers going through red (or late amber) lights.

2/ Speed enforcement in line with the functions of a Gatso type system.

Basically the camera is set up to ping drivers that speed up to nip through on amber lights.

Upshot is that if you go through a red light because you're going too fast yhen you will get a double hit (points/fine for red light and speeding).

Something to bear in mind is that red light cameras are exempt from being painted bright yellow so can be tricky to see especially against an obscuring background.

If you see the 3 lines on the road edges (and the cats eyes at night on roads with 2 or more lanes) then they are speed on green cameras.

If there is just the induction loop on the road (shiny black tarred rectangle) then it's a standard red light camera.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Ah, that makes more sense!  Thanks for explaining it Clive.

• Like 1

It's ok, sometimes I confuse myself. 🙃

Sent from my SM-G930F

16 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

It's ok, sometimes I confuse myself. 🙃

Sent from my SM-G930F

I know the feeling!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club