Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help with focus

Methvet

Hello,

Forgive me if this isn't allowed.

I'm currently test driving a 2012 Focus saloon with the 1.6 Duratorq 95ps engine. I know very little about cars for the last 20 years, other than sit in turn key drive car service every 15-20k km. It's at 48,000 km (v low for a diesel) currently, and only has the service book stamped for the 20,000km service. So that worries me.

Thing is, a lot of people have been warning me away from this engine, it's unreliable, it blows the turbo and numerous other faults, etc etc even with careful servicing and oil changes- which I can't be sure this car had, though the engine is running smoothly. 

Is there many known issues with this engine? Are they a bad batch or could I be lucky?

The Focus MK3 has a newer version of the 1.6 TDCI which compared to its predecessor has very few known problems.

All 1.6 TDCI engines belong to the Ford DLD engine family. The 1.6 TDCI is called DLD-416 where the number refers to the amount of cilinders and engine displacement.

The older problematic version of the 1.6 TDCI is the 16-valve version of this engine. This engine is called DV6 (which is basically the PSA name for this engine). This type of engine is used in the Focus MK2/MK2.5.

The newer much better version is the 8-valve version of this engine. This engine is called DV6C, DV6D or DV6F. This type of engine is used in the Focus MK3. The 1.5 TDCI that is used in the Focus MK3.5 is called DV5 and is basically a further development of the DV6F.

As said the newer 8-valve version of the 1.6 TDCI has very few problems. In my opinion the 115 HP version is the most reliable version. The 95 HP and 105 HP version have additional parts to reduce emissions. For example an extra fuel injector in the exhaust to inject extra fuel during DPF regeneration. This system is known to cause problems because the injector becomes clogged which prevents the DPF from regenerating. The 115 HP version does not have these additional parts which makes it more reliable.

The newer 8-valve versions of the 1.6 TDCI do still have a relative small sump. The amount of oil in the sump is only 3.85 L which is not much for a diesel engine. Despite the prescribed service interval of 20.000 KM/12500 MLS should be fine I personally would use a reduced service interval of 15.000 KM/9500 MLS.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, useful info!

How do I know which version mine has - 8 valve or 16 valve? 

Build Date:   19.09.2011
Vehicle Line:   Focus 2011-2015
Body Style:   4 Door Saloon
Version:   Series 70
Engine:   1.6L Duratorq DI TC (95PS)
Transmission:   6 Speed Manual Trans - B6

The Focus MK3 (2011-2014) has the newer 8-valve version.

So this car would be a safe enough purchase?

I've just heard so many horror stories surrounding the PSA 1.6 engine.

All these horror stories apply to the old 16-valve version of the 1.6 TDCI.

The newer 8-valve version of the 1.6 TDCI is much better. The 95 and 105 HP versions sometimes have problems related to the additional systems to reduce emissions but these are only minor problems in relation to the major problems of the old 16-valve version of the 1.6 TDCI.

• 5 years later...

apologies for bringing up an old post

looking for a replacement t1db engine

would this be able to be swapped with either DV6C, DV6D or DV6F?

or does it need dv6c?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club