Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

foggy windows

ayup

so far the most annoying thing about my focus is the windows seem to want to steam up at the slightest hint of rain , so i did a bit of searching on the tinterweb and came across a video of someone testing different types of things to prevent steaming up and i was going to get some rain-x as i've used it in the past and it's good stuff which he used in the video along with other things one being shaving foam , so i thought id give shaving foam a try and it's just as good as rain-x i sat in the car with a cup of tea and half of the windscreen i put shaving foam on was crystal clear but the other half was misted up , so if you want to save a couple of quid try shaving foam (mine was the cheapest tesco had as i'm tight as a ducks butt)

• Like 4

Interesting!  I'll have to try that, as I constantly seem to have the front demister on in the Focus or else it fogs up.  It was fine in summer, but the colder/wetter weather is making it a lot worse.

1 hour ago, V6 Lover said:

Shaving foam!!...how much is a bottle of rain x ?

Sent from my Z220 using Tapatalk

rain-x £6+ a bottle

Just bought some Rain-X as it was £3.95, only question is, can it be used on factory tinted windows?

it can't be used on after market tints as it creates a thin film and can eat into them, apparently.

factory tints seem very different to aftermarket, almost unpealable or resistant to scratching, so I would have thought it could be used??

7 hours ago, ayup said:

a picture speaks a thousand words

I was about to ask if it was a ChrisFix video by any chance :tongue:

Factory tints are actually an internal layer of the glass.

Aftermarket tints are a film stuck to the inside of the glass.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Factory tints are actually an internal layer of the glass.

Aftermarket tints are a film stuck to the inside of the glass.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Does that mean I can use it on the factory darkened glass?

22 minutes ago, Tomson said:

Does that mean I can use it on the factory darkened glass?

In a nutshell yes!

• Like 2

Agreed, as the factory tint is a layer between the actual glass you can't damage it.

• Like 1

Might have to try this. Like you say in the Focus if the fans aren't pretty much always on the windscreen it seems to fog up at the bottom. 

I have heard, can't confirm whether it's true or not, that before you leave the car, let the heater blow COLD air for a short time. Also, leave a clean tied sock filled with cat litter on the dashboard. 

1 hour ago, Turvey said:

I have heard, can't confirm whether it's true or not, that before you leave the car, let the heater blow COLD air for a short time. Also, leave a clean tied sock filled with cat litter on the dashboard. 

I presume that would be to dehumidify the cabin?  In which case, you could pick up one of those dehumidifier things from Poundland (et al) and leave it in all the time.

• Like 2

Nothing steams up the windows in a Focus Mk1 like a heavily panting wet/damp dog, as demonstrated by Brandy this afternoon, whilst i was in Tesco

Although, it only took quickclear and the rear demister to disperse the window fog in around five minutes.

18 hours ago, Turvey said:

Also, leave a clean tied sock filled with cat litter on the dashboard. 

I have used those silica filled bags you can get for drying out wetsuits during the damp months, which is a similar sort of thing.

But one problem you can have with them, is if you leave them there permanently. On warm sunny days, the moisture evaporates from the bag and is released back into the car, only to condense back on the glazing when the temperature falls.  If you remember to remove them during the day and put them back in the evening they work well.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club