Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 bluetooth and change power outlet to ign live

Bazinga

First time Ford owner with a Mk1 (2004) focus. Want to get comfortable with it as quickly as possible. So first order of business is to get the electronics to my liking:

1. My car has one of these stereos with a steering wheel control stalk (see below). I have a bluetooth module which I can plug into a standard 3.5mm headphone jack to make my car hands free. So I require advice on either replacing the stereo or a simpler alternative (i.e. parrot bluetooth) to get my car hands-free

maxresdefault.jpg

2. I noticed the power to the power output  (cigarette lighter) is always on. What's the best way to convert this to ignition live? I've seen some posts on the net that explore using fuse taps. Are these the best way for me to go? Any guides that will walk me through it?

Personally, I simply replaced the stereo. That one took about 30 seconds to remove from the car & the new one (a JVC single DIN head unit) took about 5 - 10 mins to fit back in with a fascia that I'd bought from Halfords.

You lose the steering wheel controls (that I didn't really miss anyways), unless you buy a compatible stalk & fit it yourself. Stereos with bluetooth are really cheap off amazon too, cheaper than the parrot unit on it's own.

Going down that route means that you don't have to worry about the ciggy lighter too.

12 hours ago, MickyG1982 said:

Personally, I simply replaced the stereo. That one took about 30 seconds to remove from the car & the new one (a JVC single DIN head unit) took about 5 - 10 mins to fit back in with a fascia that I'd bought from Halfords.

You lose the steering wheel controls (that I didn't really miss anyways), unless you buy a compatible stalk & fit it yourself. Stereos with bluetooth are really cheap off Amazon too, cheaper than the parrot unit on it's own.

Going down that route means that you don't have to worry about the ciggy lighter too.

Thanks for the reply Micky. Since posting, I have landed on that decision as well and found this Ford Focus 1998 - 2004 Fascia Facia Panel CD Stereo Adaptor Radio Fitting Kit. I have found a patch lead in order to retain use of the steering controls (however, it doesn't come cheap! Ford Focus Mk1 98-04 Steering Wheel Stalk Control Interface Lead CTSFO001.2).

Having a single din stereo doesn't do away with the 12v power staying constantly on (or hot power as one video called it). I may have to either:

1. Splice the ignition/acc wire from the stereo and replace the power wire to the 12v outlet; or

2. Replace the 12v outlet with a use and aux power outlet which draws power from the ign/acc behind the stereo and goes to the ground wire of the 12v outlet: Replace Power Outlet with USB AUX Jack on Ford Focus or any car!

Thoughts?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club