Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wont fire up straight away

Ionise

Hi, Im having an issue with my 03 Fiesta 1.4TDCI (near 100k on the clock)

It doesn't fire up straight away, sometimes it takes a second or two, others it can take up to 6-7seconds, ive tried to narrow some things down,

- The fault isn't just when it is cold (kind of counts out glow plugs even though unlikely anyway)
- Garage tested the battery and said it is okay, I tested the battery, seems okay.
- I tried to prime the fuel with primer before starting, seems to have no affect to start time (fuel filter is approx 1 year old, 9000 miles)
- The power for the size engine feels normal when its running, no abnormal smoking etc even if you redline it. (puts low compression as fault to back of the queue?)
- Sometimes when I turn the key to fire up, the engine will cut off after 1 turn or so (could this be cam sensor?)
- Engine in general doesn't sound rough or misfiring when driving and when idle

Any ideas?

Doesn't necessarily rule out the glow plugs.  When you say the garage tested the battery, what tests did they do exactly?  As just testing the voltage doesn't tell the whole story - you also need to do a heavy discharge test.

You say it runs OK when it's going.  Presumably there is no longer than usual delay in the power coming on when you push the loud pedal?

In any case, a run with some decent engine cleanser (additives available at any Halfrauds) can work wonders.

Check the injectors are not leaking or starting to leak, common problem.

you should be able to tell if a battery problem by sluggish starter motor. If starter motor sounds like it's turning engine at the right kind of speed then battery is not the problem

Get a leak off test done on the injectors, if one injector is leaking off too much fuel it drops the overall fuel rail pressure and can be quite hard to start, also, when did you change the fuel filter?

On 1/8/2017 at 3:37 PM, GaryPL said:

Doesn't necessarily rule out the glow plugs.  When you say the garage tested the battery, what tests did they do exactly?  As just testing the voltage doesn't tell the whole story - you also need to do a heavy discharge test.

You say it runs OK when it's going.  Presumably there is no longer than usual delay in the power coming on when you push the loud pedal?

In any case, a run with some decent engine cleanser (additives available at any Halfrauds) can work wonders.

I've ordered some forte advanced diesel fuel treatment (if thats what you meant by cleanser?)

The garage done a test with a battery tester, when the car fired up, it took the values from that.

There is no delay that ive noticed when accelerating

4 hours ago, Ionise said:

I've ordered some forte advanced diesel fuel treatment (if thats what you meant by cleanser?)

The garage done a test with a battery tester, when the car fired up, it took the values from that.

There is no delay that ive noticed when accelerating

Diesel purge is what I use, you run it neat through the high pressure pump, makes a difference - have you had the airbox off to check the leak off line isn't leaking and putting air into the lines?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club