Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Temp insurance & road tax query

yunii

Hi , i would like to know that if i bought a temp insurance cover off online for 1 day so that i can get road tax. Would i get instant tax online with 1 day poilcy from emailed document covernote? Or is it better to take cover note of policy to post office.

Also can i take out tax without new keeper slip or that is needed to apply?

Any info from anyone experience this would help.

The reason for temp cover is main policy would be still in use for my sons old mk6 fiesta. Once i sell mk6 i can re insure on the original policy paying the additional fee. I read somewhere that the temp cover policy doesnt go onto dvla database or even few days which by that time the cover would've expired.

Thanks

Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Tax your vehicle

Tax your car, motorcycle or other vehicle using a reference number from:

• a recent reminder (V11) or ‘last chance’ warning letter from DVLA
  • your vehicle log book (V5C) - it must be in your name
  • the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip (V5C/2) from a log book if you’ve just bought it

You can pay by debit or credit card, or Direct Debit.

This service is also available in Welsh.

Start now

Other ways to apply

DVLA vehicle tax service
Telephone: 0300 123 4321
24-hour service
Find out about call charges

You can’t pay by Direct Debit over the phone.

At a Post Office

Go to a Post Office that deals with vehicle tax. You need to take either:

You also need to take one of the following:

• your vehicle log book (V5C) (it must be in your name)
  • the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip (V5C/2) from a log book if you’ve just bought it

If you don’t have any of these documents, you’ll need to apply for a new log book.

You might also need your MOT test certificate (it must be valid when the tax starts).

It can take up to 2 days for MOT information to be updated, so you might not be able to tax your vehicle immediately after it passes its test.

In Northern Ireland you also need an insurance certificate or cover note.

If the vehicle is off the road

Register that your vehicle is off the road, for example you’re keeping it in a garage. You don’t need to tax your vehicle.

Last updated: 16 January 2017

in case it's not clear. In Scotland England and Wales the Post Office no longer check insurance documents when taxing (but Northern Ireland do). Recently I was sorting out tax for  car my sister bought that day. I went to great effort to get a paper cover note to take to the Post Office only to find they did not want to see it. 

actually thinking about this, i think you might fall foul of the continuous insurance regulations. If a car is taxed but not showing as insured on the motor insurers database I believe they write to you telling you that you are committing an offence because they insist that a car is on a SORN if it does not show as insured on MID.

see this

https://www.mib.org.uk/reducing-uninsured-driving/continuous-insurance-enforcement/

I am sure i have heard of people falling foul of this.

For example if your insurance is due but you are not renewing right now because you are having a knee op, and you have the car parked in your garage, you have to SORN it and then retax it when you want to use to take out new insurance and drive it.  

This is so that i can buy this car & bring home legally.
Yunii

If the car is nor registered in your name and you have insurance on another car that covers you to drive other cars then you are covered as long as the car is MoTd and taxed.

You can get 24 hour cover for vehicles.

not always, my swiftcover cert says that the other car I am driving has to have a policy in force in the name of the owner even if that does not include me as a named driver.

some insurers do that to stop misuse of the driving other cars third party extension.

and some insurers don't provide that extension at all now.

Everyone should read their certificate in detail.   there is no universal rule on this

The rules are that if you are covered to drive other vehicles on your own insurance the other vehicle must be insured taxed mot'd by the owner as well

• Like 1

The rules are that if you are covered to drive other vehicles on your own insurance the other vehicle must be insured taxed mot'd by the owner as well

It does now as car is at home. Used mate with a trade plate.
Yunii

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club