Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turboing a 1.25 z-tec S.

spitfire123

Hi all,

i think ill be Turboing my fiesta pretty soon.

Now i was going to get the stock cast iron manafold (about £30 buy) and use the cat square flush mounting point and weld up my own face off plate to fit the turbo to it.

now thats proberbly the easy bit....

i was wondering about the compression ratio on this engine? im not goint to bother to put low comp pistons in there, if it comes to it ill get an oversized head gasket.

as for the airbox and that, i will obviosly get rid of it and re-locate the battery to the boot.

as for the turbo i supose id use sommthing like a reno5 turbo, or punto tubo ir somthing similar.

now this isnt the best engine to do it on i know as the manafold is at the rear of the engine :blink: but has anyone else on here done it before?

i was also wondering where would i get my oil feed from for the turbo? would it have to be electronic or cold i tap in to one of the engines oil feeds?

any help much apriciated...cheers

Hi all,

i think ill be Turboing my fiesta pretty soon.

Now i was going to get the stock cast iron manafold (about £30 buy) and use the cat square flush mounting point and weld up my own face off plate to fit the turbo to it.

now thats proberbly the easy bit....

i was wondering about the compression ratio on this engine? im not goint to bother to put low comp pistons in there, if it comes to it ill get an oversized head gasket.

as for the airbox and that, i will obviosly get rid of it and re-locate the battery to the boot.

as for the turbo i supose id use sommthing like a reno5 turbo, or punto tubo ir somthing similar.

now this isnt the best engine to do it on i know as the manafold is at the rear of the engine :blink: but has anyone else on here done it before?

i was also wondering where would i get my oil feed from for the turbo? would it have to be electronic or cold i tap in to one of the engines oil feeds?

any help much apriciated...cheers

I have to ask before someone else does.

What do you hope to gain from putting a turbo on there? Literally, I mean. It's 80 bhp, right? Or as near as. Let's say it gives you 25% more power, you'd be teetering around the 100 bhp mark. The stock 1.6 from previous models is already 105 bhp, with the TiVCT at 120/125 (I forget).

Now, you can do your turbo conversion, but make sure you price everything up first and compare to the current value of your car traded against a 1.6 stock (which has FAR more potential to modify if you so please). It's a lot of work to turbo that engine and should you do it, you will find it very difficult to shift in the future.

Your call though :) of course!

yeah...all true...but I like it...

anyone can go get a puffed out old zetec S 1.6 producing,lets be honest, a pathetic 100bhp.

1.25 turbo, could look at 180bhp if he did the rods etc.

You also gona get some serious torque...yum....its that stuff that wins races, not BHP.

you need to get compression altered...and you will need to play with fueling...either a remap or stand alone system...dreamscience will sort you out well, all fully adjustable and playable if you got a laptop :)

oil feed, duno about in, but its easy enough to tap an exit...have to look carefull at the head...

I suggest you ask similar in the FiestaNetwork...I know guys who have done a lot of work on the little engines :)

Go for it bud...something different....but prepare yourself that it will cost well into 4 figures plus your insurance costs...

also...you need to sort handling and brakes first...this will aid the insurance.

But make sure it will stop and turn with the increase in power :)

The 1.6 engine is a far better starting point though in my opinion. Seen some very nice examples of those after serious modification. The 1.25 is a niche area to pursue, but granted, it'd be 'different'.

That said, 180 bhp from the 1.25? Sounds a little optimistic to me, but I'm sure someone out there has the money to throw at it and make it happen, not that the tiny block would last that long ...

uprated con rods, cams and lightened crank, headgasket uprated etc...stand alone engine management, turbo...180bhp ta

Think of the starlet, 1.3turbo...can get 200bhp outa them :) yum!

plus, its a yamaha tuned engine, or worked on its developement at least, hence revvy feeling...yams r1 creates 172bhp for all 1000cc, no turbo!! ;)

uprated con rods, cams and lightened crank, headgasket uprated etc...stand alone engine management, turbo...180bhp ta

Think of the starlet, 1.3turbo...can get 200bhp outa them :) yum!

plus, its a yamaha tuned engine, or worked on its developement at least, hence revvy feeling...yams r1 creates 172bhp for all 1000cc, no turbo!! ;)

Granted, it's clearly possible ... but at what cost? Assume the labour needs to be paid for too and I'd hazard a guess at 'not cheap'. I know it was Yamaha developed, but for that reason alone, it'd be much more feasible to drop in the 1.7 sigma engine (get the racing puma engine and you're laughing) and work from there - supercharger alone will see absurd gains. Just my opinion :)

all been done before thought...too easy :lol:

Way more potential than the 1.25 really, and if serious enough about performance to turbo the 1.25 ....

Just because it hasn't been done before, doesn't mean it makes sense, if one is seeking performance alone. Maybe for a show car/example, but the OP doesn't state that. I would guess he/she isn't making one of those either.

..and shall we talk about insuring this super dooper 1.4 Fiesta killer.

And when it's all done he can say, crikey, I could have bought a Focus ST with the money I've wasted. :lol:

I wouldn't bother wasting your money mate, seriously

Buy something decent instead :)

I wouldn't bother wasting your money mate, seriously

Buy something decent instead :)

A rare occasion where we agree on something FMC ! ;)

A rare occasion where we agree on something FMC ! ;)

:lol:

if u really wana do it go for it!

but if was me i wouldnt!

your better off gettin a 1.6 or dropin another engine in her!

and tuning that!

i agree that is far 2 easy and been done b4 but its the best thing to do with your money but if you do wana b one off a kind with a rare 1.2 turbo goo for it

but any chav can buy a ST :P

bet I could make a 1.25 turbo go faster round a track than a ST for same money! ;)

I have to ask before someone else does.

What do you hope to gain from putting a turbo on there? Literally, I mean. It's 80 bhp, right? Or as near as. Let's say it gives you 25% more power, you'd be teetering around the 100 bhp mark. The stock 1.6 from previous models is already 105 bhp, with the TiVCT at 120/125 (I forget).

Now, you can do your turbo conversion, but make sure you price everything up first and compare to the current value of your car traded against a 1.6 stock (which has FAR more potential to modify if you so please). It's a lot of work to turbo that engine and should you do it, you will find it very difficult to shift in the future.

Your call though :) of course!

Ive been told/estimated by sticking a turbo from say a punto...as long as its set up right, intercooler,etc and re-mapped...id be looking at atleast 120bhp.

if i were to go the whole hogg and change the pistons,cams etc then i could turn the boost righ up and be pushing 160+, but this wont happen.

costs taht i can make out so far: just looking on eBay and stuff:

manafold £30ISH

turbo £100ISH

intercooler £50ISH

Thats all ive looked at so far.

does anyone know the compression ratio on my engine? it cant be that high compression can it? 9:1 or somthing?

cheers all

think they around 14:1, don't quote me tho, you probably want around 9:1 really for the turbo i would think...

the pipes will be fairly expensive bud...probably 50-100 easy...

remap could be easily 300, think dreamscience sort you out for that...very good with me mates pumesta, 190bhp, no turbo, no engine mods bad FRP inlet and exhaust!!! revved to 9k. Did do the bores in after 3000miles...but shows what can be done...and that was pushing it to the limit of standard!!!!

think they around 14:1, don't quote me tho, you probably want around 9:1 really for the turbo i would think...

the pipes will be fairly expensive bud...probably 50-100 easy...

remap could be easily 300, think dreamscience sort you out for that...very good with me mates pumesta, 190bhp, no turbo, no engine mods bad FRP inlet and exhaust!!! revved to 9k. Did do the bores in after 3000miles...but shows what can be done...and that was pushing it to the limit of standard!!!!

intoresting. 190 is verry good.

Just had a look on the web and it looks like the comp ratio on tne 1.25 z-tec s is 10:1

so theoriticly i wouldent need to lower the compression any moore as 10:1 is about the bracket it needs to be at. would you agree?

and yes pipes will be around £100 but we do have a few pipes i might be ble to buy off the boss, i think re-map on my car is around the £200-250 mark yes.

Btw mate i like your bike, will have to get some pics up of mine :P

bike for sale!!!

Compression for just small upgrade should be ok, amazed how low that is...but guess it makes it so revvy, lower torque.

Need to talk to someone like Dreamscience see what they rekon about compression :)

Just wack a turbo and remap on there and it may only last 5minutes!!

bike for sale!!!

Compression for just small upgrade should be ok, amazed how low that is...but guess it makes it so revvy, lower torque.

Need to talk to someone like Dreamscience see what they rekon about compression :)

Just wack a turbo and remap on there and it may only last 5minutes!!

i have to many toys to play with at the moment let alone another bike :lol:

And yeh i would say 10:1 is the reasom why its revvy.

tbh im gonna have to do a bit more reserch in to this before i just go ahead with it.

Also,does anyone know if diesel turbos can be used on petrols?as there MUCH more common such as small cc diesels need turbos.

cheers

Also,does anyone know if diesel turbos can be used on petrols?as there MUCH more common such as small cc diesels need turbos.

cheers

do research but wouldn't think so, they designed for low revs, high torque, you want the opposite really!!

but can't think of any design differences, the only thing that would be different, is that a petrol gets a vacuum when off throttle, a diesel don't get that...only very new designs are getting that with variable manifolds.

:)

again, research!!

but any chav can buy a ST :P

bet I could make a 1.25 turbo go faster round a track than a ST for same money! ;)

I'm sure you could if you were mad enough to spend 20k adding parts to a Fiesta 1.25.

Otherwise, yeah ... get prices before considering too much, as you might be surprised (but then again, you might not). If the money was burning a hole in my pocket, I'd get better pockets.

do research but wouldn't think so, they designed for low revs, high torque, you want the opposite really!!

but can't think of any design differences, the only thing that would be different, is that a petrol gets a vacuum when off throttle, a diesel don't get that...only very new designs are getting that with variable manifolds.

:)

again, research!!

Thanks for the info,

i only thought of the idea because there are no phisical diffrances between the turbos.

the most common petrol turbos are 2.0 + which is way to big for my engine to spool...would you agree?

cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club