Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk3 non start tdci

Wolves2017

Hi All,

just joined up today, although I have viewed this forum before and found it to be useful.

focus mk3 won't start, clicks as if it has a flat battery. the display saying "push clutch". This happened after the car has been parked for 10 minutes. 

Checked the battery which seemed ok 12.5v..checked at the clutch pedal to see if there was a switch of some sort (all seemed connected) if that is even an issue?

called the aa who initially said it was a flat battery. Attempted to jump start it, no joy, he then gave the starter a tap a few times still just clicks. He says the starter is the fault. I'm a little unsure as to rush out and buy a starter . It could well be the fault as the car has stop start function and has 75k on it? 

Any thluyghts/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

thanks 

i`d go for the starter motor option, not sure how much they are to replace though

Cars with stop start are going to start eating starter motors as they get older

Check connections on starter. if you can hear a click on start then the voltage is getting to the starter solenoid which may be sticking. check its getting 12 v when someone pushes the button with the clutch down. if that's ok, try thumping starter with a hammer,

Thanks for the responses

i plan to take the starter off after work I've tried tapping it with no joy. Will check the supply before I remove it. 

Been quoted 130 plus vat for a recon unt and around 200-250 for new depending on which one it has..I'll know once it's off I think.

So just to update ..tried to take the starter off but gave up due to bad access trying to do it one the drive. Took the car to a local garage who changed the starter for £155 all in with a 12 month warranty. 

All now is well

thanks for the advice 

Was the old starter clogged up with iron filings from the DMF? 

I know people don't do this much these days, but 30 years ago when the starter motor stopped working, you took it apart, bought some new carbon brushes for it and fitted them and all was well. Sometimes you had to undercut the insulation in between the commutator segments a bit where the commutator was worn.  When you buy a recon starter motor this is the same as what the reconditioners have done (except they also clean it up to make it look like new).

http://www.autoelectro.co.uk/how-it-works-starter-motors

if my starter failed now I would still try doing this, although I would not be surprised if the manufacturers have made it hard to get the right carbon brushes now. Years ago most starter motors were made by Lucas and carbon brushes were no problem to get

I'm not sure if it was clogged or not. He did say he's seen a few fail on cars with the stop start function which I suppose makes sense. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club