Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil change frequency

bananacat

Hi

I had an oil change about 8 months ago and have done about 10k miles since. The car just told me I need an oil change again. Would this be correct? Seems a bit soon tbh

With a sporty car I would and do change mine every 6 months regardless. With a normal car every 12 months regardless of mileage some will say that that's excessive and you don't need to that but it does keep the engine sweet by doing so.10k does seam a bit short but could be normal some one here will know the answer to that.

• Like 2

Yes I would change average mileage is 10k a year it's maybe working on that.

• Like 1

I do every 6k or 6 months whichever comes first

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bananacat said:

Hi

I had an oil change about 8 months ago and have done about 10k miles since. The car just told me I need an oil change again. Would this be correct? Seems a bit soon tbh

i always do mine every 6 months, won`t do any harm doing it twice a yr. the car warning that you have got about the oil change is i think you`ll find that the oil change reset had not been done when the last oil change was done, thats why it`s come up on dash warning you so soon:smile:

• Like 3

if you do or if you don't you will never know if it made any difference to the life of the engine or not. On my 2007 fiesta 1.6tdci ford say change every year/12.5k miles. I changed it every 15k miles (which was about each 10-11 months). At 146k miles I sold the car to my brother. He has done at least another 10k miles since then and it has not had an oil change for 25k now. But the car is fine.

Personally I think he is taking a chance(but he is lazy and can't be bothered). In fact everyone says I was taking a chance at 15k as those engines are known for turbo bearing oil feed problems and many people say change at 6k.

I always used Castrol Magnetec oil and a genuine Ford filter.

I personally do an oil and filter change every 10,000 miles, which happens to be every year. I only use Ford's formula f and genuine filter, car has  just gone over the 100,000 mile hill, hopefully I can get another 8 year's or so out of it, fingers crossed 🤞

• Like 1

My annual mileage is 2,000 a year, oil gets changed every 6 months regardless, I only use Petronus Syntium FR3000

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2017 at 5:27 PM, andypsp said:

i always do mine every 6 months, won`t do any harm doing it twice a yr. the car warning that you have got about the oil change is i think you`ll find that the oil change reset had not been done when the last oil change was done, thats why it`s come up on dash warning you so soon:smile:

Surely it would be on all the time if it hasn't been reset when I got it done previously

2 hours ago, bananacat said:

Surely it would be on all the time if it hasn't been reset when I got it done previously

it would only come on when its due for the oil to be changed (and if it wasn`t reset after the last change of oil), if you have reset it now you`ll not see it warning you for the oil to be changed for at least 12months

12 months or a certain amount of miles?

Only going on about it as it came on a while ago, I got the oil changed, the message went off (can only presume they reset it) and now come on again.

Think it comes down to personal preference. I do 4k a yr and do my oil n filter every 6mth regardless of milage. But also cause alot of my trips r short distance.

Personally I change the oil on my 2010 focus 1.8 petrol every 5-6000 miles and it runs sweetly and doesn't burn any oil yet unlike some duratec he engines.  I do the oil on our cmax 1.6 tdci every 6000 miles or 6 monthly.  Oil and filter changes are cheap insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club