Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Orange residue in spark plug hole

Jonanstee

There is a lot of orange residue in the spark plug hole and i was wondering if anyone knew what would cause this?

Is is bad for the engine?

and how should  i go about cleaning it out?

Thanks,

If your engine is one without a cover over the spark plugs then its rust coloured rain or screen wash water that has leaked into there.

• Like 1

Yeh the screenwash jets are prone to leaking on your year of car here is the common list and possible fixes 

Leave the plugs in and suck the water out with a pump. This is what I fitted to my 1.6 engine when I discovered the same problem.

As above, just suck the water out and get it dry, then get hold of some silicone grease, and apply it between the underside of the washer jets and your bonnet

On 8/29/2017 at 0:43 PM, eddie eastwood said:

Leave the plugs in and suck the water out with a pump. This is what I fitted to my 1.6 engine when I discovered the same problem.

On 8/30/2017 at 8:38 AM, Jon84 said:

As above, just suck the water out and get it dry, then get hold of some silicone grease, and apply it between the underside of the washer jets and your bonnet

So do i just suck the water out and leave the orange tango stuff in there? or scrape it off?

Do the best you can, if you start scraping at the rust you might leave some bits behind that could end up going down the plugholes next time you change the spark plugs. One of my spark plugs was that tight because of the rust on it it took me three days to finally get it out. Would only slackened of a bit on the first day sprayed some WD40 as best I could, second day it slackened off a bit more and sprayed it again, third day with use of my 18 inch ratchet finally got it out and what it rusty mess on the threads it was. Talking about it with an old motorcyclist friend he reminded me you could also have used Cola instead of WD40.

1 hour ago, eddie eastwood said:

Do the best you can, if you start scraping at the rust you might leave some bits behind that could end up going down the plugholes next time you change the spark plugs. One of my spark plugs was that tight because of the rust on it it took me three days to finally get it out. Would only slackened of a bit on the first day sprayed some WD40 as best I could, second day it slackened off a bit more and sprayed it again, third day with use of my 18 inch ratchet finally got it out and what it rusty mess on the threads it was. Talking about it with an old motorcyclist friend he reminded me you could also have used Cola instead of WD40.

So was that a leave the rust or scrape it off? haha

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club