Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange problem..Dash camera in rear window..Lines

jace1969

Strange one,i have just put a new A119S in the rear window of my fiesta,all works 100% and amazing picture but on the night i get

some interference on and off and only on the top of the picture which are lines.,i have a A119 in the front and all fine even at night,i have tried loads of setting.

Is there anything at the back that can course this on and off and also could i be going past a area on a night which is interfering with it but only at night.

If you ran the wire in the roof trim and it's passing the aerial? Long shot admittedly... Can experiment with it and see whether FM radio or DAB is doing it?

Could be as simple as a loose connection though. Or maybe a device reset?

4 hours ago, GaryPL said:

If you ran the wire in the roof trim and it's passing the aerial? Long shot admittedly... Can experiment with it and see whether FM radio or DAB is doing it?

Could be as simple as a loose connection though. Or maybe a device reset?

Well i did think the Device but why i ruled it out was its A1 in the day and only once in a while on a night,the wire runs under the center console

and back seat then up the one side (pass side) into the lining onto the window,it comes from a u.s.b lead/power point direct from fuse box.

Just was thinking is there anything that comes off and on at the rear at night,not brake lights as checked them.

Done all setting and new firmware what i did but never had a up and running rear camera before so just seeing if anyone had the same problem.

Is it worth swapping the cameras over to see if the fault follows? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GaryPL said:

Sounds like a faulty camera or a dodgy connection.

100% in the day and once in a while on a night so i don't think the camera is the problem.

My next 2 things is swapping them round for a night and also seeing if it does it in the same place like past the same house.

I will try and get a link to the day one and try and get a night one when i have time.

The picture is bad as i aint set it up for the picture quality side as just left that default as wanted to sort the lines out,in light the picture is better

but as you can see they come and go and not 1 line in the day.

If you go forward it starts around just over 2 mins,bad at 3 mins and also you can see how much the picture improves under some street lights,don't forget

going through rear tinted window and no lights being back but i can solve the picture quality just the lines.

just a thought try running your lights in the day as thats the only think i can think is on at night and off in day, maybe some interference from the live wires when they are turned on. 

19 hours ago, AlexBartlam said:

just a thought try running your lights in the day as thats the only think i can think is on at night and off in day, maybe some interference from the live wires when they are turned on. 

I have deleted the link off here but yes i have tried this and still the same,i think i tried everything in the book.

strange that, i would change the cameras around as said above and see if the problem happens again, if not faulty camera if it does then you know its interference, its not bad enough to stop collecting decent footage, but is rather annoying, if its ernds up being interferance, i would tr and relocate the wire maybe moving an couple inches away fromotherwires.

I have just added a day one but put the setting to 1080p 60fps as youtube got it on 720p and its spot on.

Cameras can act strangely in low light conditions. But that's not the sort of noise I'd expect. At work, our interview room cameras go to black and white in low light. They also get more grainy. My DSLR gets the grainy appearance.

My money is on a loose connection or bad lead, or dodgy camera. Would explain why it was fine to start with and progressively gets worse. The camera itself would be warming up as the picture simultaneously getting worse.

35 minutes ago, GaryPL said:

Cameras can act strangely in low light conditions. But that's not the sort of noise I'd expect. At work, our interview room cameras go to black and white in low light. They also get more grainy. My DSLR gets the grainy appearance.

My money is on a loose connection or bad lead, or dodgy camera. Would explain why it was fine to start with and progressively gets worse. The camera itself would be warming up as the picture simultaneously getting worse.

What i cant get and don't know if you can answer this is why the night only and only once or twice,i have a lot of videos that are fine.

As you can see the day one is perfect with nothing so it would still be getting warm if not more being a longer video clip and same connection if loose lead.

It does me fine as it don't blank the picture in any way and day is fine.

I will try changing the 2 round and wont change anything on the setting as the same set-up then,its confused me being day if A1.

That's the annoying thing with electrical connections being a bit loose.  They often result in intermittent faults.  All it takes is a slight knock (bump in the road) or for it to be disturbed (opening the boot) and the problem goes away again...

You haven't mentioned GPS but do you have the GPS module installed? If so try powering direct (to the camera) as might be causing issues.

Ok,changed the camera round so A119S in front and A119 in back and didn't change any setting and both A1,picture of this S in the front at night is Dam amazing

when running off headlights.

The thing that get to me is the A119 in the back is a lot worse at night a lot darker but not 1line at all on either but i have to swap them round again as the night

is a hell of a lot better on the A119S even if grainy when very dark as you still can see.

This a really confused me as not 1 line at all and i will load a front view of the A119S which have the lines only at night,not a thing.

No GPS on and the mount is not on as i have GPS off tracker and front camera,this is only for picture.

Rear Heated window is off.

The picture is A1 and also a over 4 min file and not 1 line and i have tried 3 of 5 min files and nothing.

Also if it was connection why not on the other camera and also never in the day when on a lot more driving so lot more files.

Another thing that i never looked into that the screen when connected to the back always had a slight flicker,didnt look at that when

i swapped them round as screen saver went off what i set it to but i have tried a lot of things and it left me with a few more and also

read a lot of forums on flicker screen and they all said power which i would of said but it worked and saved files perfect.

So i think i have solved the flicker and might of solved the lines as not dark to check which i will in a few days.

Changed the complete lead to the one that came with it (u.s.b to mini u.s.b) as the one i had was off eBay and the one they supply with the camera is a u.s.b one

anyway so just a direct swap but just about reaches like 2 inch play max,the flicker has gone so i will just wait and see.

What i read that using another lead that the camera would work fine but any power surge from anything ( wiper/stop light/lights/anything at all) would knock the power

down that very small amount so the screen would flicker slight as it has to be a very good insulated cable so original is the only way to try,so far so good we will see.

Loads of forums say this with loads of dash cams and even more if using the full length of the cable also on the night more power needed being trying

to make its own light through the lens and also you use more in your car like lights on and stuff,just what i read.

If you can, always use the power leads that actually come with the device. I have just come across this thread and was going to ask what power line you were using. A lot of the dash cam leads have a Ferrite Core Noise Suppressor and that can make all the difference. If you want to use the third party lead then you can buy a separate Suppressor on Amazon/eBay and give that a try. If you want to do this then just route the cable over the back seat to the cam rather than buggering about under trim as it may not work. My dashcam will not connect to my computer without a Suppressor on the line, without one it connects as a dashcam and will not transfer the data. With a Suppressor it recognises the dashcam as an external HDD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

If you can, always use the power leads that actually come with the device. I have just come across this thread and was going to ask what power line you were using. A lot of the dash cam leads have a Ferrite Core Noise Suppressor and that can make all the difference. If you want to use the third party lead then you can buy a separate Suppressor on Amazon/eBay and give that a try. If you want to do this then just route the cable over the back seat to the cam rather than buggering about under trim as it may not work. My dashcam will not connect to my computer without a Suppressor on the line, without one it connects as a dashcam and will not transfer the data. With a Suppressor it recognises the dashcam as an external HDD.

See i never looked at the power supply being the item worked and saved files all fine just had this flicker on the screen which i only noticed on spec as i set the screen to go off in 1 sec,it made me start thinking when i swapped it round and worked fine in the front well better than the one now in the dark.

So it must of had just enough to work but when put under pressure like at night where it needs that bit more it didn't work right,still confused why my other one the A119 didn't have any lines but all i can think is being the S model and is known for good night picture it needs to work harder to get the lighter picture,the A119 still did flicker the same so now its.

A119s in rear and my old A119 which i have had for a good 8 months in the front.

The draw should always be the same, I can't see the camera putting any more load on the wire when it is dark. There will be some insignificant variable causing the problem if changing the wire has actually helped. Did you notice a drop in signal from the radio? Sometimes these third party wires can affect the radio and then in turn that interference can reverberate through the power line causing the lines you see. If it was losing power you would expect to see the picture drop out not have intermittent lines, this behaviour would suggest either a faulty camera or some outside factor. In poor light the camera does all sorts of things with the frame rate, aperture and shutter speed so it could be any one of those things. You could always try and get the camera to shoot in 50fps and see if that helps.

2 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

The draw should always be the same, I can't see the camera putting any more load on the wire when it is dark. There will be some insignificant variable causing the problem if changing the wire has actually helped. Did you notice a drop in signal from the radio? Sometimes these third party wires can affect the radio and then in turn that interference can reverberate through the power line causing the lines you see. If it was losing power you would expect to see the picture drop out not have intermittent lines, this behaviour would suggest either a faulty camera or some outside factor. In poor light the camera does all sorts of things with the frame rate, aperture and shutter speed so it could be any one of those things. You could always try and get the camera to shoot in 50fps and see if that helps.

Just for this wire no lines at all on 5 clips at 5 mins each,the camera worked A1 in the front but it had to go in the back as the night picture/dull light is very good being going through the read tinted window and no headlights to help.

The Aperture is 1.6 on the S which is amazing in the dark as it lets in more light and you can tell the change trying my A119 in the back which is 1.8 Aperture but after all this i have to say i have learnt a lot of stuff about all this and just trying to save a little ££ on a cable as i never thought the one with it would reach as it just does,the S is set to 1080p at 60 which a lot of sites say and is default.

I have to say the Feedback on this has been great and i thank you all for your input.

Also i rate these 2 cameras very high and believe me i have a lot of footage i have done.

• Like 1

The faults and fixes aren't that important at the end of the day, the important thing is that we learn new things and pass that knowledge forward. Glad to hear that you seem to have it cracked now [emoji106]