Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus TDCi: 6DCT450 Issue

Quint

Hi, 

I recently had an issue with my transmission. I have a Focus TDCi 2.0 with a MPS6/6DCT450 wet clutch. I have faithfully changed the transmission filter and oil earlier than the recommended intervals. At any rate, about last week, there was an "engine malfunction" coming out, but my scanner wasn't able to pick-up the error. Worst, when my sis-in-law dropped of my wife last Friday, they called me to come out and listen to the car. I heard a knock / rattle, and thought I had major engine issues. Anyway, I had the car towed to a shop. However, the OBD error didn't come out and the rattle seemingly disappeared to my bewilderment. We then proceeded to start the car and let it idle for awhile. After a couple of minutes, nothing. I decided to rev it a bit, then the rattle came back. No OBD error. We lifted it up and decided that it was in between the engine and transmission. We decided to pull down the transmission. As we proceeded to open the torque converter cover, we saw a piece of plastic (see pic) inside it. We couldn't figure out how it got there, and worst, what it is. I looked at the 6DCT450 catalog and the only plastic component that closely resembles it is part 377 (plastic orifice assembly). There are no performance issues---no slippage, gear hunting, bucking of any sort. oil and filter was change a few thousand kms back. I am confused, and don't know how to proceed, whether to just put the cover back, replace the oil, and go. Here is a pic of the part on the cover after we took it out. 

Would appreciate any help or inputs especially from those who have experienced anything close to this. 

Why Getrag would use plastic components in a very high-stress (heat, torque, etc.) environment is puzzling at best. 

Thanks in advance.

6DCT450 Loose Part.jpg

• 11 months later...

My transmission has finally died. I was supposed to replace the damper kit and the spring kit inside the torque converter (where I found those plastic parts). But then last week, I just had a transmission malfunction appeared. Then it got stuck in one gear. Then it suddenly went "neutral" even in D. To get home I had to pull over to the roadside several times, switch off the engine (reset ECU), and then go again. Did it several times til I got home. 

Anyway, I think my tranny is as dead as it can get. Would appreciate if any of you have had any experience in overhauling your transmission. Parts referrals are most welcome. I've got the catalogs already, but I would appreciate learning from the experience of others. 

Thanks in advance. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club