Do Not Sell My Personal Information

correct brake disc,pad and engine belt replacment help

fordfiestaghia17

hi all

the car i have owned for just a short while is a ford fiesta ghia which i am having trouble sourcing parts for using eBay

im in the process of changing warped brake discs and require a correct replacment for the disk and pads, below is the europarts disc found with the vehicles number plate (total price £67)

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Fiesta_1.4_2006/p/car-parts/regular-service/car-service-parts/brake-discs/?104590069&1&89dc0e63ad4107b6daf7a5429c6d050944f1df9c&000027

if anyone could help me find something on eBay which would be £30 cheaper i would be very greatfull

the cars engine makes noise when starting cold and the belt connecting to the large object at the front of the engine resembling an motor, the intravenous or drive belt causes the noise and needs replaced, as a novice finding a reasonably priced replacement for this is also giving me some difficulty so your insight would be appreciated

thanks

part of the problem finding parts for the correct model fiesta is how the models have been designated. Generally in the UK we refer to 2002-2005 as the Mk6 and the 2005-2008 as Mk6.5 , but 2002-2008 is often referred to as Mk V (V being roman numeral for 5) on sites like eBay.    (the Mk6.5 is a facelift of Mk6 - if your front indicators are in the bottom of the headlamps it is a mk6.5, if your front indicators are at top of headlamps then it is Mk6).  

I assume your car is a 2006 1.4 Fiesta yes?

Cheap brake discs are usually quick to warp, but here are a selection that should be the right size and in budget - http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/brake-discs/ford-fiesta-v-jh-jd-1-4-16v-80hp_v16085_g900007.html

Here are the auxiliary belts.  You have 2 on your car so check the 'length' field next to each one, the short one runs the power steering pump.  The long one runs the alternator (looks like an electric motor) and air conditioning.  They also sell belts for non-AC models which use only one belt so beware of that.  If it's only the long one squeaking you may chose to just change that one.   http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/drive-belt/ford-fiesta-v-jh-jd-1-4-16v-80hp_v16085_g305.html  

says 2005 in his details, but he may have established it is mk6.5 which a 2006 would be

fordfiestaghia17

•  
  • fordfiestaghia17
  • 1 post
  • Name: tom
  • Ford Model: fiesta ghia
  • Ford Year: 2005
  • UK/Ireland Location:Cumbria

"I assume your car is a 2006 1.4 Fiesta yes?"

1.4 ford fiesta ghia is correct, the first registration took place in 06.  this car also has AC

the fan belt thankfully has already been replaced and i have seen personally wear that was present so there never was any dought about having the other replaced.

the belt is quite short and is visable from the top of the engine connected to the alternator running down a short length.

the belt list provided seems very varied and im unable to recognise which one is correct.

along with fitting 4 new tires on saturday these repairs are hopefully all i will need

thanks

Worth mentioning you can pretty much always get at least 30% off when on EuroCarParts. I managed to find a 50% off code when I got some brembos off there.

There's no fan belt on these, both are auxillary belts, the fan is electric.

Take a picture of the belt and I'll chose the right one. :smile:

hi, ive included 2 pictures i have taken of the belt to aid identification

and thanks ill have a look for an autoparts code because its easier to buy locally

That is the alternator drive belt. Both the belts are stretch belts so no tensioner

great thanks, im hoping this belt is correct because im going to be picking up parts using theyre weekend code:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Fiesta_1.4_2006/p/car-parts/belts-chains-and-tensioners/engine-parts/car-drive-belt/?202777435&1&4b5b175f05eb268cc830d0a21e2e938e22599f65&000108

if so ill purchace.

thanks

Have you got the tools to refit? Removal is usually done by just cutting them. Without any kit you'll be struggling to save them without damage. 

2 hours ago, fordfiestaghia17 said:

great thanks, im hoping this belt is correct because im going to be picking up parts using theyre weekend code:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Fiesta_1.4_2006/p/car-parts/belts-chains-and-tensioners/engine-parts/car-drive-belt/?202777435&1&4b5b175f05eb268cc830d0a21e2e938e22599f65&000108

if so ill purchace.

thanks

Yes, that should be the correct belt. 

As Stef says though, it's a stretch belt.  I never cut them personally, they usually pop off with a screwdriver, I daren't cut them in case the new one is wrong and they need refitting lol! :laugh:  They can be a pain to fit the new ones if you've never done it before, but I assumed you were having a garage fit the parts for you?

after a quick conversation with the seller the conclusion was the pictured belt was already replaced meaning the problem lies elsewhere. although completley beyond me it does mean i get to return the belt purchaced, a previous conversation hinted at replacing the wheel turning the belt and of course some inconsistancy with my seller regarding the belts in the first place lol

rundown: cars alternator belt makes noise on startup, aided by wd40 and use the noise disapates, but the problem lies not with the belt but some other unknown issue.

the brake pads and discs are purchaced from europarts

thanks

Did you purchase the eicher pads n discs? That is a brand I will refuse to fit for anyone. The pads would be aswell coming with a file and a template! 

I think you'd be best off having someone diagnose the squeal in person tbh, difficult to say what it is over the internet.

The crank pulley (wheel that turns the belt) isn't likely to squeak.  But the water pump might, that's the shiny wheel just behind the alternator in your pic.  Otherwise it can only be the alternator or AC compressor.

The belt doesn't look that new in the pictures though, so I wouldn't rule that out just because someone says it had been changed.

I agree with Stef on the Eicher brakes, not had good experiences with them myself but obviously it's your budget and your choice.

• Like 1

"rundown: cars alternator belt makes noise on startup, aided by wd40 and use the noise disapates, but the problem lies not with the belt but some other unknown issue."  I wouldn't spray wd40 on the belt. the belt is intended to be grippy and not slip. wd40 lubricates so will help it slip and the chemicals in wd40 will probably adversely affect the belt also.

one way to check if a squeak is the belt is to dribble water onto the belt

when i was at the garage for an oilchange the mechanic pointed out the belt was frayed from improperly being fitted so will require replacment again

it was like that when i got the car so will return to the seller

thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club