Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Shock Absorber Gaiters - MOT?

isetta

Any MOT testers out there?

Although I have a Fiesta I also have a 2010 Mazda2.   MOT due. Checked car over, all seems fine except the rubber gaiters (concertina type) at the top of the front shock absorbers (Mcpherson strut type)  are falling apart. No sign of leakage, no sign of rust on the chrome rod/tube under the gaiters. I can not find any mention of there gaiters in the MOT manual. 

Can a MOT tester confirm that the disintegrating gaiters is not a MOT failure?

(I do of course realise in the long run it is not good to have the gaiters in this condition as more likely to get rust on the inner rod part which will then ruin the seals and cause fluid leak. But they are not easy to fit - well, not difficult as such , but a fair bit of work, remove strut from car and remove spring. I am capable of doing it and have the tools, but not much time to spare before MOT.

It's not a fail for damaged or missing. As long as the shock isn't leaking your good.

Don't know if this is relevant but I had an advisory on my front velocity joint gator. It said on the MOT paper 'Offside Inner Front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt 

Don't know if they just look at if any dirt gets in there or like you said any leakage or rust

23 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Don't know if this is relevant but I had an advisory on my front velocity joint gator. It said on the MOT paper 'Offside Inner Front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt 

Don't know if they just look at if any dirt gets in there or like you said any leakage or rust

That is part of the driveshaft not the shock absorber.

• Like 1

OK thanks,  (I know split CV joint gaiters are a fail).   I have now booked the car in for MOT. 

Shock absorber boots aren't sealed and so any damage would not be of any more concern than something that ought ideally to be fixed (i.e. not an MOT an issue).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club