Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Not Starting

JW84

Apologies, new member here, posted this in the General Ford section - but someone kindly advised me it might be better posted in here.

A bit background, about a week ago my car wouldn't start, turned the key and literally nothing. Charged the battery and it started again so ended up buying a new battery assuming that was the problem fixed.

Then a day or so later, with new battery, nothing when I turned the key. So, local mechanic says it's the starter motor - I pay to get that changed and a few days later the same problem, turn they key and it doesn' even fire. Running out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Details on the car - Ford Fiesta Zetec Tdci 70, it's a 1.4ltr Diesel, 2012 model.

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

From the old thread:

10 minutes ago, JW84 said:

Thanks for the response Dan. When we changed the battery and it happened again I thought the same, that something was draining the battery, but there's nothing obvious still on even after I lock it, and the mechanic seemed to think it was the starter motor. After last night i'm not sure sure, as I drove all the way home from work with no problems (about 40 miles) and only stopped at my parents house for about an hour and when I went back out it was completely dead.

It sounds like it could be a short in your electrical system, likely one of the high current fuses under the bonnet if its draining a battery in an hour. 

I can't think of anything else it could be... Someone else will shed some light here I am sure.

38 minutes ago, dansallis said:

From the old thread:

It sounds like it could be a short in your electrical system, likely one of the high current fuses under the bonnet if its draining a battery in an hour. 

I can't think of anything else it could be... Someone else will shed some light here I am sure.

This thing is, it does work for a few days and then all of a sudden it stops working. Got a feeling it's going to be one of them that takes multiple mechanics/garages before they eventually find the solution, which means it's going to be expensive! :(

16 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Have you made sure the alternator is charging the battery?

Had someone out last night to look at it, whilst it sounded dead, the battery was fully charged, so pretty sure now it's the starting motor.... which makes me wonder what exactly the last garage done considering they charged me for a new starter motor... trouble is now I don't trust them at all!

You are saying you don't trust them but you don't actually know what is at fault. 

Perhaps they did wrongly diagnose the starter motor and have changed it. 

With a fully charged battery, what exactly is going on? Are you seeing dash lights and all the usual stuff but just no starter turning? 

is the starter motor making a clunk when you try to start? (eg. solenoid on it is working)  or no power to it at all.

Does the starter motor look new (nice and clean and shiney).

It could be wrong diagnosis. you might have a new starter motor but it might have been an interrmittent fault in the wiring to starter motor.  It might be a faulty ignition switch (is it the traditional one where you turn key to start)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club