Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK1 heating problem

bigp2018

Hello,

I am new to the site.

I bought my 2002 Focus last June. The heater switch only worked on Number 4 and not 1,2 or 3. Last week it stopped working on Number 4. So i did a few things... I changed the fuse (nothing) i bought and fitted a new heat resistor (nothing) and then i ordered a full new switch set off eBay and changed it this morning and that did nothing! I'm wondering if it is now the heater motor which is behind the glove box. Has anybody else had this problem?

Thank you. 

2 hours ago, bigp2018 said:

Hello,

I am new to the site.

I bought my 2002 Focus last June. The heater switch only worked on Number 4 and not 1,2 or 3. Last week it stopped working on Number 4. So i did a few things... I changed the fuse (nothing) i bought and fitted a new heat resistor (nothing) and then i ordered a full new switch set off eBay and changed it this morning and that did nothing! I'm wondering if it is now the heater motor which is behind the glove box. Has anybody else had this problem?

Thank you. 

If number 4 isn't working I'd be inclined to think the motor fan isn't working.

Can you take it out and put 12v to it and see if it spins? Or open it up and check if 12v is at it when you turn it on?

I’m at work now until Sunday. I’ve ordered a replacement motor fan off eBay anyway just in case. It’s just been bugging me all week along with being freezing cold when driving, haha. 

Thank you mate :) 

@bigp2018 if it the fan which it most likely is if not the resistor, the skuttle panel ( the plagy bit between your window n bonnet ) needs sealing at the window or you'll just have the same problem again mate 👍 plus you might wanna check the pollen filter as that would more than likely need doing before sealing it and it maybe wet 👌

• Like 1

on my focus mk1 the resistor pack blew twice. I then investigated further and found it was because the motor bearing were stiff causing undue load on the electrics through the resistor pack which blew the thermal fuse on the resistor pack (a lot of the time when people replace the resistor pack it really only needs a new thermal fuse soldered into the resistor pack). 

Anyway the bearings were stiff as water had got in there through the air intake somehow. My pollen filter was soaking wet as mentioned above.

You might not need a new motor. you might just need to get the bearings moving again with some thin oil. I seem to recall it was easy to do this once the motor was out of the car. Motor was behind glovebox, compared to some cars it is pretty easy to get to.

I’ve read a lot about this pollen filter also. I’ve already ordered the motor now (which I’m fitting on Monday) but I’m going to take a very closer look at this pollen filter. We had a lot of heavy rain not so long ago and the passenger side footwell was soaking! I think that’s what it could be :( 

thanks for the replies guys :) 

• Like 1

All working now. I’m guessing it was the heater motor. Fans work on 1,2,3 & 4. I’ve also ordered a pollen filter and seal. Thanks guys. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigp2018 said:

All working now. I’m guessing it was the heater motor. Fans work on 1,2,3 & 4. I’ve also ordered a pollen filter and seal. Thanks guys. 

Great result

I had exactly this issue with my old focus last year, I also did the same as you. turns out the bearing in my heater motor had failed. picked up a new motor from a breakers yard for £15 and fitted it in about 30 minutes!

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a motor from eBay. Took about 20 minutes to fit. I’m having problem with the pollen filter though. The scuttle panel won’t seal back to the windscreen so the water is getting in :( 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club