Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aircon Smell

adriang123

Hi,

I need some advice with an aircon smell issue. 

I bought the 2010 Mk7 Fiesta recently and found out that there is an odor coming from the vents mostly when the heat is on. 

I did try foam cleaner in vents, changed the pollen filter, sprayed the outside vents with an aerosol disinfectant but no luck, the odor is still there. I did regas the AC out and seems that it is not as cold as it should be.

I have a feeling it might be a huge bacterial problem on the evaporator or it might be clogged, but I do not know how to reach it or clean it.  A picture with the location might be useful.

At first where would it be located? How easy is to clean it? Any other alternatives to solve the issue out?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks.

28 minutes ago, adriang123 said:

Hi,

I need some advice with an aircon smell issue. 

I bought the 2010 Mk7 Fiesta recently and found out that there is an odor coming from the vents mostly when the heat is on. 

I did try foam cleaner in vents, changed the pollen filter, sprayed the outside vents with an aerosol disinfectant but no luck, the odor is still there. I did regas the AC out and seems that it is not as cold as it should be.

I have a feeling it might be a huge bacterial problem on the evaporator or it might be clogged, but I do not know how to reach it or clean it.  A picture with the location might be useful.

At first where would it be located? How easy is to clean it? Any other alternatives to solve the issue out?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks.

You need an antibacterial air conditioning clean  - would have been cheaper to do it at the same time as regas

Thanks for the reply. Are you referring to the garage doing it ? Would they use the same 'car bomb' and foam ? Or they have a better way of doing it? 

I had mine done as it was being serviced, regas and antibacterial clean - I think you can do it with a DIY kit, but don't know how good they are

You can't view or access the evaporator without removing the dash.  The pollen filter should stop anything blocking it though.

Easiest thing to try is an air con bomb, they cost about a tenner and you literally just run the engine with fans and recirc on, press the button on the bomb, leave it in the footwell and let it work its way through the system for 10 mins.  I've used a few of these with good results.

You can also get a direct spray with a long tube that you put into the vents which is what garages usually use.  I bought one a few weeks ago but haven't used it yet but it was cheaper than a bomb.

• Like 1

I did try the K2 aircon foam and some spray from eurocarpats but no luck. Also had one airbomb, the smell is still there. So I guess if you guys had experience with a garage that does something professional I would try it. Last resort is taking the evaporator out and cleaning it but I guess that is a bit overkill. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club