Do Not Sell My Personal Information

KeyFob Not Working (Ignition Trick Did Not Work)

MarkTwo

Hi,

I just landed myself a one owner MK2 Focus 1.6 base spec, it came with one key and the fob itself is not working. I thought it was the battery so changed that, then I googled and found the ignition on 4 times trick, first beep then press a button to hear the second beep, however I never hear the second beep. On youtube half of the comments say it worked, the other half say they don't hear the second beep.

Also, when I lock the car with the key (I have to) and unlock it with the key I get a 10 second beeping for the interior and if you don't insert the key and turn the ignition on the alarm goes off.

Any suggestions?

The circuit board may be duff, it is a common problem that the buttons fail or the board itself corrodes.
I've replaced a few for mates over the last couple of years.
I use a signal tester which will diagnose if the board works or not and if not then I swap the boards out.
Most key cutting places have testers, give them a go.
Swapping the board takes 5 - 10 minutes tops.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

hey

thanks for the reply I will definitely be buying that as it is becoming annoying. I read randomly the other day that a possible fuse could be causing this but I can't find the thread anymore. Any ideas what they where talking about? I'm going to check that now.

Also, I want to copy the key which is cheap to do but how do I program it to the car so it works in the ignition? I found blank programmable keys on eBay for £20. Would the ignition trick work or would I have to take it to the dealers?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, MarkTwo said:

hey

thanks for the reply I will definitely be buying that as it is becoming annoying. I read randomly the other day that a possible fuse could be causing this but I can't find the thread anymore. Any ideas what they where talking about? I'm going to check that now.

Also, I want to copy the key which is cheap to do but how do I program it to the car so it works in the ignition? I found blank programmable keys on ebay for £20. Would the ignition trick work or would I have to take it to the dealers?

Thanks!

If buying a second fob key and you don't have the 2 keys then to have a second you...

1, have to get the transponder coded

2, the new key cut 

3, the chip board coded

If your just buying a new fob key ( key with chip board ) which you can get for about £10 all you have to do is cut the rubber around the transponder carefully ( it's glass ) the transfer the chip board from the old key to the new 1, then take your old key and attach it to the new fob. But before doing any of that check the prongs in your fob haven't been bent through multiple times of battery replacement..

The long prong sits underneath.

The short prong (commonly found bent ) should be sat on top of the battery not at the side which happens.

The bleeping is part of the alarms security probably activated from non remote use ( not registering that it's not actually being stolen ) 

To program a new transponder chip (the bit that is recognised by the car in order to let it start) you need someone with an IDS interface module to do so, the ignition programming routine only works on the central locking programming.

I'd scope out a few local auto locksmiths for a quote to 'cut and code' a key for you.

Reference the new circuit board swap, the existing one is held in with a black plastic frame.

Make sure that the switch locating frame (white plastic) is seated properly or the buttons won't sit squarelt.

You need to cut away the melted tips of the mounting pins to remove the frame and after swapping the boards over just add a touch of glue to reseat it.

5ad1432b6ef90_MK2KeyParts.jpg.7004c6f6700975de35669491859e0329.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club