Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handbrake on Ecosport

Bob Mc

Hi could any body tell me how to take up the slack in the hand brake cable on my ford ecosport, many thanks Bob Mc

• 5 months later...

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, Bob Mc said:

Hi could any body tell me how to take up the slack in the hand brake cable on my ford ecosport, many thanks Bob Mc

Will be doing it in the next month so I will make available pictures and a written dialog!

on many cars (i dont know yours specifically) the cable can be adjusted up where it joins the handbrake lever.  But that kind of masks the real problem. Mostly when the handbrake lever comes up higher it is because the adjusters need attending to inside the drums (assuming you have drum brakes, I have not checked). They are usually automatic adjusters but they can get stuck and then need the drums removing in order to move the adjusters with a screwdriver.  The handbrake cable adjuster is to set it up correctly when new (or when cable replaced) it is not there to compensate for brake lining wear

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

A bit late for Bob - but this is what I have been told. 2014 model

After ripping the centre console to bits to find only a non adjustable ferrule on the cable, then removing the heat deflector under the car to find the same thing, I was advised that there is no adjustment on the handbrake cable.

Adjustment is done automatically at the rear brake linings which is supposed to compensate for lining wear and handbrake cable stretch. If this is not working then the only way to restore the original handbrake application is to replace linings and cable together, even if the linings are still good.

I cannot find a workshop manual to assess how difficult this is although there is a video on youtube with an Indian Ecosport owner adjusting his under the centre console. This must be on earlier models. 

• 8 months later...

I eventually had a look at daughters 2014 Ecosport handbrake. There is no handbrake cable adjustment only cable crimps on the cable at both ends.

The good news is there is no black magic - with the handbrake off, the drums can be removed after releasing the securing screw "countersunk Torx - so may need the hammer and chisel treatment if already damaged/worn".

The auto adjusters are typical Ford rotary rachet type with a thermal bi-metallic strip addition - make sure you take a photo of both backplates before working. The backplates were very rusted and everything was jammed up with lining dust. Dismantled everything and cleaned and painted back plates. Freed up and lubricated adjusters, brake grease on all contact spots. Hand operated adjusters to allow drums to clear brake shoes. Refitted drums and Hey Presto the hand brake was tight after three clicks. Just make sure the adjuster orientation and forks are correct as per your photos.   

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Had my rear brakes adjusted at the dealers, now works on the first click, suspect that they adjusted it via rear drums so it is possible.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club