Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loud Clunk Shifting From 1St To 2Nd

voliminal

i recently removed the standard air filter on my 2007 mk6 fiesta, and replaced it with a cone filter.

im not sure if this is just coincidence or a direct cause.

but soon after when i was accelerating hard and shifting from 1st to 2nd i could hear a loud clunk coming from somewhere but could not directly locate it. i notice that if i then accelerated to the same amount of revs slower the noise did not occur.

it does not happen when changing between other gears or shifting down. it was also only serviced a week ago.

what could be the problem?

i recently removed the standard air filter on my 2007 mk6 fiesta, and replaced it with a cone filter.

im not sure if this is just coincidence or a direct cause.

but soon after when i was accelerating hard and shifting from 1st to 2nd i could hear a loud clunk coming from somewhere but could not directly locate it. i notice that if i then accelerated to the same amount of revs slower the noise did not occur.

it does not happen when changing between other gears or shifting down. it was also only serviced a week ago.

what could be the problem?

There have been problems with gearbox mountings breaking up and needing renewing. If it is this, it can be seen by someone looking at the engine from above, while you blip the throttle quickly, so that the torque reaction of the engine/gearbox on its mounts can be checked. There are available, more durable mounts than the standard ones. oil makes them break-down, as it attacks rubber. (The mounting I'm referring to links the subframe to the bottom of the gearbox, with a rubber-lining at the subframe end of the cast link -- I've just looked at the Haynes manual Pics. of it.)

There have been problems with gearbox mountings breaking up and needing renewing. If it is this, it can be seen by someone looking at the engine from above, while you blip the throttle quickly, so that the torque reaction of the engine/gearbox on its mounts can be checked. There are available, more durable mounts than the standard ones. Oil makes them break-down, as it attacks rubber. (The mounting I'm referring to links the subframe to the bottom of the gearbox, with a rubber-lining at the subframe end of the cast link -- I've just looked at the Haynes manual Pics. of it.)

Ah thats interesting.

as its still under warranty do you reckon its worth getting in touch with ford?

Ah thats interesting.

as its still under warranty do you reckon its worth getting in touch with ford?

yes its worth checking but put your oe air box on before it goes in.

That would have been my opinion...mounts.

yes its worth checking but put your oe air box on before it goes in.

That would have been my opinion...mounts.

After thorough inspection it appears that because i managed to fit the air filter in the gap where the pipe comes off from the engine mount to the air vent at the front, that when i accelerate hard the engine swivels, and when shifting causes the engine to return to position causing the filter to hit the bonnet and plastic mould at the front little air vent thing.

going to have to probably put some rubber washers in place it seems or find somewhere else where there is a good cold air inlet other than infront of where the standard air hole is.

although i am worried if i mount it too low down water might start becoming a problem.

any suggestions please?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club